Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Water bottle troubles

I have two water bottles
This one:*http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-1000...ref=pd_sbs_k_3

And this one:*http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752722

I tried filling both 3/4 of the way full and they still drip constantly!! Is there a secret to getting these things to work? Or can someone recommend a better water bottle that won't leak? A bowl isn't an option for baby bunny, she will only drink out of a water bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Betta Bomb

To prevent a leak you have to fill it ALL the way to the top so its sort of pouring over the rim and put the cover on, turn it upside down, put your finger over the ball thing and squeeze. Then the vacuum will take effect.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

How weird that she won't drink out of a bowl, mine prefer bowls .

You need to fill it all the way like Purple-Hops said, otherwise there's no vacuum to prevent dripping.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Betta Bomb

Those bottles NEED NEED NEED to be cleaned everyday. It's bad enough that they are plastic but the sheer amount of water it holds can last for days if bunny don't drink it all or it's not changed. When Akina was using her upside down bottle it sucked but I cleaned it every day. The growth of bacteria can double in warmer temperatures, under sunlight, and with settlement. And I know some bunnies will not use a bowl (Akina, as I said before constantly flipped hers as a funny attention seeking joke -_-) so just clean it a lot! I also reccommend a baby bottle brush to accentuate the hygeine of it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Poooooppp!

I have the water bottle from link #2 and I really disliked it, I bought one that doesn't have a ball but like a spout thing and it also has an open top so it's easier to fill, it doesn't leak as much although my buns still like to waste their water and drop some of it when they drink.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM
is a little "special"

The only water bottle I've had that has never leaked is a glass one that Tilly has. I use a bowl with Smudge, it's SO much nicer, and they will get more water from the bowl compared to the little nozzle, if that makes sense.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Betta Bomb

Yes, I had to train Akina to use the bottle by putting up with a couple days of her overturning her water bottle. I placed the bowl half full underneath the spout for the bottle. Eventually they pick it up, I hear rubbing a treat on the spout will encourage them to lick it too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Like purple-hops said you can fill it all the way full then squeeze some out, or you can fill it 3/4 the way full (or not all the way) and just tap the ball when you flip it over. If the bottle has a good seal and suction, tapping the ball will set the vacuum.

*Missy*
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the help!! I did as Purplehops suggested and it works alright now
It's funny how Mariska refuses to drink from a water bottle and Jayma refuses to drink from a bowl. Bunnies have funny personalities!

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3

Last edited by Kgleek27; 05-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Poooooppp!

I never liked the bowl because it would always get dirty.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Betta Bomb

Stainless steel bowls are wicked. I never used a plastic bowl, nor would I, and glass I can see turning into a quick mess. O.o
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 PM
is a little "special"

I use ceramic bowls.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Out of all my chillas over the years, some preferred bottles, some had ceramic bowls, and some had stainless bowls. Rabbits tend to drink more and make more mess, so I usually use both.
And yes, the loading of water in the bottle needs to be done carefully, making the vacuum start, etc. Also not using frigid cold water is helpful.

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option