Waterbottles? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Asy

Waterbottles?

I got a baby bunny yesterday, and I'm not sure if he knows how to use a waterbottle. I haven't seen him drink out of it, and the level of water hasn't gone down (at least there's no noticable difference). Anyway, is there a way to "train" him to use it? Or will he learn on his own?

OR am I just being over-worried?

I have gotten him to use it a few times, but I have to show him where it is and squeeze the bottle so he can see the water. He's my first bunny, so I'm probably just being overly worried. I thought I'd ask anyway, just incase.

-Asy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I should'nt worry too much your new Bunny will surely get used to where the water is.

Your doing the right thing Asy

= ^ _ ^ =

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just keeping showing him the water bottle and he should hopefully catch on pretty quickly, they normally do

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM

Why do they have to drink out of those bottles? How do they drink water in the wild?

Does anyone have a QUIET water bottle....that doesnt make that metal hitting metal sound?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:43 PM

Welcome to PT!
You could always try giving your bunny water in a bowl for a few days, and also having the water bottle there..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetara03
Why do they have to drink out of those bottles? How do they drink water in the wild?

Does anyone have a QUIET water bottle....that doesnt make that metal hitting metal sound?
They get their moisture in the wild from the vegetation they eat and puddles etc.... so in captivity depending on how many veggies you give them depends on how much they drink and the best way to provide water is a bottle as otherwise it gets spilt in a bowl or spoilt with shavings and droppings etc.... There are different water bottles out there available but in my experience i have found the ball bearing ones best as they don't tend to leak as much as the others but on the downside they are noisier

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:51 PM

My bunny Billy prefers to drink out of a bowl..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Asy

Thanks for all your help. Leo finally started using his waterbottle.

I guess I tend to worry more than nessecary. ^-^;
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 10:48 PM

I hate those water bottle things. I know they save space & things can't fall in them but a nice heavy ceramic bowl to me wins hands down. I'd be worried that the baby bunny is not getting enough water if he/she doesn't know how to use the silly thing (it certainly wouldn't be programmed into a bunny to bounce a ball bearing on the end of a tube to get water).

I'd suggest providing a good heavy bowl of water as well as the bottle thingy and see which one he/she prefers.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I vote for the heavy bowl. I used to give my rabbits bottles. I thought I was doing a good job of cleaning them until I used a Q-tip on the spout, and discovered how much bacteria those little brushes miss on the ball bearing. Next I tried a coop cup, which attached to the cage wall. My rabbits spilled all of their water out and unhooked the bowl and threw it around like it was a new toy. A heavy bowl may get dirt or whatever in it, but at least it can go in the dishwasher and get sterilized.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM

What I would suggest if you want your rabbit to use a water bottle is to place a water bowl filled with water under the bottle so your bunny associates the two with water. Then, slowly decrease the amount of water in the bowl. You could also place an ice cube above the metal tube on the bottle so that it melts and then your bunny will get the picture.
Many bunnies can't drink out of water bowls because their dewlap will get wet. This happened with my Harry and it wasn't fun for him. If the dewlap is constantly moist or wet, it could lead to an infection. Let us know how it goes!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Am I the only one reading that the rabbit is now using the water bottle?

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM

I SWEAR that wasn't there before!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I SWEAR that wasn't there before!
Hehe same here!

Tags
baby bunny, water bowl