Wellness check - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wellness check

That vet warned me to keep an eye on one of my rabbits because she had some spurs on her teeth. Ever since then, when I feed my rabbits twice a day, I make them take part of their meal out of my had and eat it in front of me so I can see they have no problems eating.

I was wonder if other people do anything special to make sure that their rabbits are in good health?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Not really but I always try to spend lots of time with them and if something is wrong I'll know .

When I'm grooming them I'll look at their teeth, eyes, and ears to make sure everything is ok.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Sasami. I can spend time with Chewy and groom him, but Tasha doesn't like to be touched, so I am pretty limited to just watching her. She hardly ever needs her nails trimmed, unlike Chewy. Attempts at trying to tame her just seem to stress her out so I am limited to watching her run and play. I guess if she got sick, she might try to hid it but I hope she wouldn't act happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Thanks Sasami. I can spend time with Chewy and groom him, but Tasha doesn't like to be touched, so I am pretty limited to just watching her. She hardly ever needs her nails trimmed, unlike Chewy. Attempts at trying to tame her just seem to stress her out so I am limited to watching her run and play. I guess if she got sick, she might try to hid it but I hope she wouldn't act happy.
I have a bunny that doesn't like to be touched, too. So I just pay attention to how he acts. Once I noticed he didn't eat the fresh hay I gave him in the morning and was a bit lethargic. So I brought him to the emergency vet (it was a Sunday)...although they couldn't find anything wrong. The vet gave him fluids which made him better so I think he just had a little stomach ache or something.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 11:48 AM

I definetly watch behaviour, specially at meal times. I have a couple bunnies that have had gas issues and stasis so i'm very careful to watch them at breakfast time, as that's when I can get a first sign if anything is wrong.
I also brush my bunnies and clip thair nails, so i give them a once over then too, plus at play times.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 AM

I check my buns out when grooming and playing with them too. When we first got Charlie, the vet was worried that his teeth might go bad (i.e. molar spurs). He taught me a trick of rubbing his cheeks and where to feel and what it would feel like if there was a problem. We never did have a problem with his teeth and the vet says his teeth look great and to keep up whatever we're doing special, which was never anything more than giving him things to chew on (makes me wonder about the people who dumped him at the petstore!!!!) All my buns seem to like their cheeks rubbed almost as much as their noses. They make "momma check-ups" really easy. And since I had Rocko when he was so young, he will actually try to flip onto his back when I'm holding him just because he's gotten to be so comfortable in that position - making my job even easier!

Tags
emergency vet