What age do you get your bunny fixed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

What age do you get your bunny fixed

Hey all you animal lovers. At What age do you get your bunny rabbit fixed? And can anyone tell me what the approx. cost is to do that? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 01:24 PM

The only time I neutered one of my males is when I had a female with him. I don't remember how old they were though.. probably over a year old.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I was told when they started to sexually mature. When we got Oliver and Ophelia we were told they were 2 months old. I think they were closer to 3 months. The vet had us wait a couple of weeks before neutering Oliver - my guess he was approximately four months old. We had to wait 2 months for Ophelia because the vet was worried she could already be pregnant when we got her. So she was probably about 5 months. Penelope and Teddy were both older when we got them. I had them both spayed and neutered as quickly as I could make their appointments.
It really depends on your area how much it costs. Where are you from?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Part of the Pack

Males is usually about 4-5 months. I paid $70.00. Females is about 6-8 months I believe. I think the rate her is about $180.00.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM

Hoddy Toddy started trying to mount my forearms, knees and head a couple of weeks ago, and he just recently turned 6 months. We went and met a vet and I asked when I should get him neutered and the vet responded "as soon as possible." I've since made an appointment. It's $136 here and that includes pain meds also.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who responded to my "What age should you get your bunny fixed question". Here is another question. Does getting your bunny fixed cut down on the pooping at all? Also, I let my bunny out in the morning while I'm fixing breakfast, and keep her somewhat limited to the kitchen. But is it normal for her to chew on the molding? Does anyone have any suggestions? I know they are supposed to have some out of the cage time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think getting them fixed makes them poop any less, but it usually greatly improves their litter box habits so all that poop will hopefully be in just one place, and not all over the house!

Yes it's normal for bunnies to chew. Mine use to always try to chew up the baseboards in my room. Maybe give her more chew toys in her cage, because they do need to chew on something to keep their teeth the right length. If having things to chew on doesn't make her stop trying to eat your house, there are things you can put on the molding to discourage her from chewing on them. I think someone here said once that you can rub ivory soap on things you don't want them to chew (hopefully someone who knows more about that will post). You can also buy bitter flavored sprays in pet stores to spray on things you don't want them to chew, if you do that make sure the label says that it's safe for rabbits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh you should see the moldings in our bunnies rooms! And the doors and the door jams....
Yes bunnies LOVE to chew on wood. I have used ivory soap in the past. It works well but really needs to be applied very often - like every day.
My hubby thinks they prefer the wood work to the numerous wood toys that I have provided them because the wood work does not move around.
I have tested this theory a bit and think he is right. Teddy chews on his wire enforced baby gate to his room all the time. So I shoved a wooden carrot in the holes of the baby gate and it held well. In one night he gnawed the entire wooden carrot down. We had that wooden carrot for almost a year and there were only a few nibbles out of it!
Now I have been trying to shove other wooden toys in his baby gate for him but nothing has been fitting as well as that carrot. I think my hubby may need to cut some wood into the right sizes for the holes.
Some other things that sometimes go over big to chew on are
empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls (or even with the paper towels on them)
phone books (not the biggest hit in our house)
cardboard boxes that are made into lovey houses
I have also given mine tissue paper to play with. We had lots after Christmas and they seemed to enjoy tearing it.
Oh but if you want help wrapping presents - don't ask a rabbit - all they are interested in is taking the paper back off the boxes!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks you guys! All the information has been so helpful. I really appreciate all the good advice. Someone had mentioned on another chat that you could use printless newspaper to line their cage with instead of shredded recycled paper. Because as you know, those rabbits love to play and kick that paper. So usually in the morning I have a mess to clean up. Does anyone have any suggestions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Part of the Pack

i had Lucy spayed at 5 months, Ricky was about 6 months. I had called every vet within a reasonable distance for quotes, and the general consensus was spay at 5-6 months, neuter when testes are noticable. Prices varied a lot. I ended up paying less than $200 for both buns, including pain meds, which I never used. I chose the low-cost option because I was low on funds and it was sort of an emergency (lets just say that Ricky was originally named Ethel). other places charged up to $260 for a spay, less for a neuter.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, chew toys, litter box, pet store, pet stores