What are the best? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

What are the best?

Bunny-care products? I am hopefully getting a new baby bunny next weekend and I was wondering what products everyone uses for food, treats and toys, etc.? I've owned a rabbit before but I want to be up to date since we put him down about...3 years ago. I will be making her cage. Would it be wise to put a small shelf in it? Do rabbits use them at all? Any other info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Alicyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

My rabbit cage has 3 levels...one ramp from first to second and the third is low enough for him to just hop right up there. He's all over that cage and is loving the space. It's 4 feet, by 2 feet and 3 feet tall. Yup, I would say they use the shelves

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, shelves are great ^_^. My bunnies have two floors on their cage (they did have a hammock that served as a third floor but they got bored and destroyed it one night ^^' ). Kaytee does good bunny stuff as well as Vitakraft.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

k, cuz my old rabbit never did much. His disease must have made him less active. I am told i should fix my rabbit also. I **may** get two. There's a few bunnies housed together so if I can figure out how to identify two girls then I may purchase two. I heard they like being in pairs. I know that's true with my chinchillas.

Now, I know guinea pigs need extra Vitamin C, do rabbits need any extra vitamins on top of good food, hay and a mineral/salt block?

I will be building the cage so I just need to find a really big pan at Wal-Mart and I'll start from there. Now what do you guys use for shelves? I have 1/2" x 1" wire mesh so is there anything I could put on the shelves for their feet?

Thanks!

Alicyn

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Mandie, did you build the cage? Or did you buy it?

Alicyn

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Built it. My hunny built it out of expanded steel and welded it all together. I don't have a finished pic, because Shane took the camera to work with him... but here is the link to the thread with pictures. Just imagine it with the bottom level in and a ramp. I'll get the final pics up tonight when he gets home. We have melamine shelves in it, but they are all covered with carpet. Lucky Jack is litter trained, so it works well for us.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19317

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:16 PM

Hi Chin,

Can I ask you a question about bunnies? You seem to know alot about them.

Jen
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

WOW! That's an awesome cage! Wood shelves TOTALLY slipped my mind ^^; We will definetly litter train our new bunny(ies) so carpet may work too. We have tons of extra carpet here since we put in wood floors. I kept some to do the cage building on! Neato.

Alicyn

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennieboy
Hi Chin,

Can I ask you a question about bunnies? You seem to know alot about them.

Jen
You can ask! I can't guarentee I'll know the answer...I got my first bunny only a few weeks ago...VeggieGirl or RSBunny should be able to help you though...they know much more than I do about rabbits

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Just be careful with the type of carpet you get....bunnies generally like to eat carpet so you may need to be prepared to take that out if need be...don't want any blockages!!!
And yes rabbits like to be in pairs....just don't get two boys! They will fight once they hit maturity, even if they are brothers. Girl/boy is the best combination but girl/girl generally works too. Getting them both young will make the process a whole lot easier for you as well....or rescuing two that already get along well.
There are many health benefits for your rabbit to have them spayed/neutered along with the nasty behavious caused by hormones that they lose once they are fixed making life easy for you too!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Yeah i keep reading that but my old rabbit was a male. We NEVER got him neutered. And he was never aggressive or had ANY bad behaviors. He was just a horny little guy! We never had any problems tho it may be what his disease stemmed from. We'll start saving up to get the bunny(s) fixed since i read that for girls it prevents a bunch of cancers.

Alicyn

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, girl bunnies should definately got fixed...if not, by two years, there's a high percentage of them getting cancer. And rabbits love to be in pairs ^_^. My two bunnies have shared a cage for about 8 months without any problems.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
VeggieGirl or RSBunny should be able to help you though...they know much more than I do about rabbits
LOL thanks Mandie! PokeyPokey I don't think rabbits have the same Vitamin C requirements as guinea pigs. As long as you feed lots of veggies they should be fine. The House Rabbit Society's site www.rabbit.org is awesome and has a ton of info. Make sure you feed plenty of hay. Hay should make up most of the diet, then veggies, then pellets. If you go to that site you can find more info on that. Oh, and I agree with Sasami-Kaytee makes good food. I use Kaytee Forti-Diet. Oh and be careful about what kind of litter you buy because not all are rabbit safe.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

Okay well we brought her home today! my mom is shooting herself in the head for getting ANOTHER animal. Sh's got a vet visit on Monday for a check up and to find out if she is actually a SHE. Is so her name will be Annabelle. Annie for short. She is an adorable mini lop and a dark chocolaty color with pinkish eyes. Her paws are HUGE tho so we will see if she is actually a mini. She's about 7 weeks old. I will take pics soon.

I will be building her cage tomorrow. I have her on kiln dried pine just the same as my chins. I've got some bunny vitamins for her and I am feeding her Kaytee Forti-diet. Anything else? I will have to check the list of acceptable fresh veggies. I'm sure my guinea pig would be glad to have some too.

Alicyn

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Congrats on your new bunny! She sounds really cute! Did you get some timothy hay? Like I was saying before, hay should be the main part of the diet.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Tags
baby bunny, dried pine, guinea pig, house rabbit, house rabbit society, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, litter train, litter trained, lucky jack, mini lop, rabbit cage, rabbit society, tap water, timothy hay, vet visit, wire mesh