What is the best brand of Timothy hay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

What is the best brand of Timothy hay?

Iím guessing itís kms hayloft (I know they have the best guinea pig food) or oxbow. But which one it better? Or does it really matter? Iím about to get some guinea pig food from kms hayloft and was planning on getting some hay also (it would be 3rd cut timothy hay), but wanted to first find out if it was the best. I want the best for my babies.

Thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Betta Bomb

The best kind you can get is a fresh bale-bag of timothy which contains the highest amount of fibre and not too much moisture or protein.. Hard to say since they differ... I couldn't find product analysis for kms (for some sketchy reason it's not on their website)
My bunny LOVES Oxbow hay. It's one of the best store bought and consistantly fragrant, green, and awesome quality. (which is what to look for in bunny hay) Acacia eats a bag of their botanical hay in like 2 weeks or less usually. Their timothy she spreads out a little longer. When they don;t have Oxbow I pick up Kaytee timothy. Not our favorite but it's not very dusty and it's pretty fragrant.

Here's product analysis for both, compare to your kms:
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pro...1a?object=1525 << botanical oxbow
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pro...il?object=1530 << timothy oxbow
http://www.kaytee.com/products/timot...-mini-bale.php <Kaytee timothy

One thing to point out, if you only have 1 bunny I wouldn't go buying a giant bale of hay.. It loses it's goodness after a while. That's why buying these bags guarantee freshness for the duration of their life (kept in air tight containers)

Hope this helps!!

(**Should also mention, bunnies require a higher quality hay than gp's.. And gp's also need more calcium (alfalfa).. Avoid calcium rich hays for your bunny!)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I've gotten awesome and terrible batches of hay from just about every place I've bought it from, including kms' and Oxbow. For a few years I use to buy exclusively Oxbow but I got so many bad shipments of it that I eventually stopped buying it.

It's kind of the nature of the beast with hay that it's a variable product. There are so many factors that can go towards determining the quality of each batch, things like the weather, how it was stored, how it was shipped, etc, etc.

I think to find the best hay, that would probably require buying it from somewhere local where you can actually go and look at the hay and judge it for yourself. When you order online you can't do that so you kind of just have to hope for the best. Sometimes you'll luck out and get amazing hay, other times you may be disappointed.

With that being said, KMS hay is generally good. My bunnies love their 3rd cut hay. I'd buy it for them more often but I normally buy hay in bulk and to have it shipped to me from KMS is pretty expensive. I usually go with a supplier closer to where I live, to save on shipping costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
It's kind of the nature of the beast with hay that it's a variable product. There are so many factors that can go towards determining the quality of each batch, things like the weather, how it was stored, how it was shipped, etc, etc.
Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I've had the best luck with Sweet Meadow Farm and Farmer Dave's but that might be partially because the shipping speed is so fast. The latter is in NY so it arrives in a day.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
hay oxbow, kms loft