What brand of hay do you feed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

What brand of hay do you feed?

What brand and type of hay do your bunnies like?

I feed my bunnies mixtures of Oxbow hays. Zeus loves the oat hay. Barnaby isn't very picky and pretty much eats all the kinds. The kinds I have tried are timathy, oat, orchard grass, brome, and botanical (timathy hay with stuff added to it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't have rabbits, but I do have a baby chinchilla

I feed him timothy hay and he is very picky. He only eats a special strand of the hay and throws out the long, stringy stuff. He hates the weedy part too. I have to replace the hay twice a day because he throws so much out! I think sometimes he does it just for fun though. He also loves when I pick out his favorite pieces and hand feed it to him. He is one spoiled baby

I wonder if chins can have the botanical hay. I bet he would love it.

I have a question for you - how hot can rabbits get before they overheat?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My rabbits are picky about their hay too! They only eat the "good" peices and will kick the rest all over the floor

I believe that rabbits can overheat in temps over 80*F. They can handle cold temps much better than they can handle heat. I have an AC in the room I keep my rabbits in, and I keep it set at 65*F for them.

Has anyone ever tried American Pet Diner brand hay? I heard that it's a better quality than Oxbow and less dusty, so I was thinking of trying it next time I need to get hay. I'm just afraid I'll buy a ton of it and the bunnies will refuse to eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Adolescent Pup

I give Flash the Kaytee brand Timothy hay, just because that's all that's available nearby. It's not the highest quality, though - there's always some brown, stringy pieces that are no good to eat. I can usually tell looking at it through the bag which bags will have the most edible stuff and which ones I'll end up throwing out half the bag. My vet sells Oxbow, but they're far enough away that it's inconvenient to buy from them with any regularity.

--Fromper
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Part of the Pack

My buns won't even touch the timothy hay most pet stores sell (that yellow/brown kind). They like the green stuff...although it seems they are not eating much of it lately. I think I might try switching to a different variety if I can find some for them to try.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I do exactly the same thing, I rotate between the different Oxbow hays .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think I might try switching to a different variety if I can find some for them to try.
I use to feed only timathy - but then read that it was good for them if you give them more varity. Both my rabbits eat so much more hay now that I started feeding them diffrent types as well as timathy. You can rotate what types you feed, or get two or three diffrent types at once and mix them.