What do I give bunny for his teeth? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

What do I give bunny for his teeth?

My bunny is around 3 months old. I've read that rabbits need things to chew on to help prevent their teeth from growing. What can I give mine to help his teeth? I've tried buying those little sticks of wood and a few other little things they sell in the pet store for rabbits to chew. But he's not interested in any of them. Any suggestions? What will happen if I can't find something he will chew on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have heard many like bigger pieces of wood like a cut 2x4 big enough for them to hold down. You will have to research what type of wood is good and make sure it isn't treated with anything in the store.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Make sure your rabbit has hay all of the time, and that should go a long way to prevent problems. My rabbits like to chew the bark off of sticks and twigs. They like their sticks green. I give them crab apple (their favorite) and lilac. I wash the sticks with a fruit wash, and then I put them in the freezer for a few days. Freezing them kills any bugs that might be left on them. Sticks can be found on the web. Try doing a search for "rabbit chew sticks". I am sure you can find them on the web much cheaper than at a pet store. They are usually baked to kill bugs and they are not green. My rabbits have never tried them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM

i use fresh apple branches for Oliver. He cant go a day without them. He will eat the bark off the branch in no time. and now he knows where the bucket it and he will go up to it and take a branch out when he wants a new one. he also eats alot of hay and thats supposed to be good for their teeth.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

My rabbits all like unpeeled willow. You can buy willow toys and baskets from some pet stores and give those to them - they're always a hit with all three of my bunnies.

Apple branches are good too. Again if you get it unpeeled, or with the bark still on, a lot of rabbits seem to like peeling the bark off.

With apple and especially willow (and other woods too) make sure they are untreated. For that reason I always make sure to buy them from pet stores, even though some other stores sell willow baskets, but you don't know what kind of nasty stuff they could have been sprayed with.

And like moonchild said, make sure your rabbit always has access to fresh hay. Chewing on the hay helps to keep their teeth short.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! He does have access to hay at all times, so it sounds like this should do 'till I can find something he'll enjoy chewing on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 AM

Holly has unlimited hay but apart from that his favourite thing to chew on is carpet! Much to my eternal despair. He's learned that I don't like him chewing on it, but I haven't successfully stopped him doing it in the first place - he'll just stop when I come over, though sometimes I have to give him a small nudge. He also has corn flavoured chew blocks but ignores them completely and I haven't seen untreated wood or anything like that at the petstores around here.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

I buy my rabbits willow stuff from here:

http://www.thebunnybasics.com/

They have a lot of stuff my bunners like, and they donate 100% of their proceeds to rabbit rescues.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Betta Bomb

cardboard,hay,wood,willow toys...cardboard is Acacia's fave! she makes tunnels and such with big boxes
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM

well, i ran out of fresh apple branches. oliver has resorted to go to town on my remote controls.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Betta Bomb

Be careful since the rubber on the buttons will likely get stuck in his belly resulting in costly vet assistance!~