What to do in my situation - please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

What to do in my situation - please help!

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your advice.

As you all know, my poor Blinky rabbit passed away last week. It was a horrible experience, as he was such a kind and trusting bunny.

Before he died, we went to our normal clinic, but was treated by our less favourite doctor. We took and X-ray, that showed a distinct pocket of gas in his stomach that was not being discharged. This gas stopped him from eating and caused him great discomfort.

The doc determined that "nothing serious" was going on, and that all he needed was some meds, the same used to treat GI, to get his innards moving.

Not 3 hours after administering the meds as instructed, my bunny died laying down. Poor thing, he looked like he was saying some last words to Bleety, who was sitting in the next cage.

A little girl at the pet store told us that sometimes bunnies gut gets twisted, causing the gas to build up. In other words, they colic, which can sometimes happen to horses.

In a nutshell, I think Blinky was mis-diagnosed. Because of that, I want some of my money back. We paid about $240CDN. I don't expect things to be free, and I don't mind paying good money for something, but I refuse to waste money.

I think it's fair that the vet refund some of my money, possibly for the meds and consultation.

What do you girls think?

Thanks again,
Bleety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

This is a really hard situation to answer, just because we don't have all the variables. We can't see the x-rays, we can't judge the vet's experience, we don't know what meds were given and we couldn't physically examine her, making it very hard to know how to answer, let alone recommend what you should ask be refunded, if anything. A lot of times, when a bunny or other similar animal shows signs of gas, it isn't until it's been going on for a long time and by then secondary complications set in, making treatment difficult.

I will tell you that if a blockage or GI obstruction is suspect at all, metoclopramide (Reglan) and cisapride (Propulsid) are contra-indicated, because they can cause intestinal rupture.

IMO, if the vet didn't rule this out and used these meds, something may have been going on that wasn't thought about and the meds could have potentially caused a problem (however, we don't know the time frame either - I'd think it would take longer than 3 hours for an intestinal rupture to cause death). BUT, if this was ruled out or not suspected, you asked for a consultation, the x-rays were needed to diagnose a problem, and the meds were needed to treat a problem, meaning they were legitimate charges.

As I said, it's a tough situation. If nothing else, I'd discuss it with your vet for sure, ask why they used what they used and on what grounds, etc. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!

Tags
pet store