What do rabbits eat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cool What do rabbits eat?

Im new to the rabbit owning business ive had my rabbit for about a month and a half and im still nto sure what to feed her i feed her pellets and carrots are there anything else they like? I need some help here. It seems like hes always so hungry.

Mother of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Part of the Pack

No lettuce, beans or raw potatoes, no morning glories or onions

Radishes, washed dandelions (they love these) carrots (of course)
apples, strawberries, blueberries (might get messy tho XB)
Most fruits and veggies are ok. Look into it first if you're not sure which is good and which is bad.
One time we went away for three days to disney world, we came back, and the rabbits were HUGE. Turns out my stepbrother was feeding them frosted corn flakes XD

*edit* Oh, and alfalfa! And you should get a salt lick if you don't already have one.

Last edited by Fubie; 01-27-2006 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you much.....I will go shopping tonighthaha

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Part of the Pack

You're welcome <3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Please don't feed too many carrots. They are very high in sugar and can cause diarrhea. Romaine lettuce is good on occasion too, but no iceberg lettuce.
And I don't believe a salt lick is necesary. Pellets provide enough salt for a rabbit if the pellets are high quality? What pellets are you feeding?
Alfalfa also is very fattening and generally should only be for younger rabbits. Timothy hay is great for older rabbits!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks!!!I appreciate all the information

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Newborn Pup

I agree with Fane81 about the romaine lettuce (never iceberg), the liberal amount of Timothy hay (instead of alfafa) and the small amount of carrots (as a treat, it's great! I knew a bunny who got diabetes from eating too many carrots...)

Rule of thumb is that green veggies are best and that the more variety of colour you can offer, the better for your bunny's diet: for example, brocoli, parsley, brussel sprouts... (green), with cauliflower (white) and beets (red) make a good colour trio! Obviously, buns love fruits, but since they are also very sweet, a small piece every day is generally enough: a piece of pear or a slice of apple per day is plenty. As for pellets, they are very high in protein and calories, so if your bunny is still growing, it's ok to give them, but when she's an adult and does not need so many calories, you should limit the quantity of pellets you give. If she gets plenty of greens and hay, your bunny won't really need much pellets once she's an adult.

I hope this helps!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm new to bunnies also, and have been doing ton of research before I start fostering them through the animals rescue I volunteer with.
This is a great link on the ABC's of rabbit safe fruits & veggieshttp://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles...t/abcvegi.html

And this site had so much information and a ton of link for everything rabbit related (it's been my biggest help so far) - http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

I have been told rabbits under 6 months can eat as much alfalfa as there little bodies want, but it's best to switch to Timothy as they get older. Alfalfa can cause milky or sludgy urine, which is a sign of excess calcium, so it's best fed to young rabbits and neursing does.

Good luck with your new bunny!

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I forgot to say...www.carrotcafe.com is an awesome site for rabbit info!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks

Thank you so much for the info it really helped!!!I think my rabbits going to be really happy now..Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper2002
I agree with Fane81 about the romaine lettuce (never iceberg), the liberal amount of Timothy hay (instead of alfafa) and the small amount of carrots (as a treat, it's great! I knew a bunny who got diabetes from eating too many carrots...)

Rule of thumb is that green veggies are best and that the more variety of colour you can offer, the better for your bunny's diet: for example, brocoli, parsley, brussel sprouts... (green), with cauliflower (white) and beets (red) make a good colour trio! Obviously, buns love fruits, but since they are also very sweet, a small piece every day is generally enough: a piece of pear or a slice of apple per day is plenty. As for pellets, they are very high in protein and calories, so if your bunny is still growing, it's ok to give them, but when she's an adult and does not need so many calories, you should limit the quantity of pellets you give. If she gets plenty of greens and hay, your bunny won't really need much pellets once she's an adult.

I hope this helps!

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

That information was very helpful!!!!I printed it out now i can look and see what to feed my rabbit without worrying if it was bad! I greatly appreciate all the information everyone is giving me. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
I'm new to bunnies also, and have been doing ton of research before I start fostering them through the animals rescue I volunteer with.
This is a great link on the ABC's of rabbit safe fruits & veggieshttp://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles...t/abcvegi.html

And this site had so much information and a ton of link for everything rabbit related (it's been my biggest help so far) - http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

I have been told rabbits under 6 months can eat as much alfalfa as there little bodies want, but it's best to switch to Timothy as they get older. Alfalfa can cause milky or sludgy urine, which is a sign of excess calcium, so it's best fed to young rabbits and neursing does.

Good luck with your new bunny!

Mother of:

Bear
Cadbury
Sassie

3 Fishies
Louie

Tags
romaine lettuce, timothy hay