What do you do for floortime? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

What do you do for floortime?

Otay, so one of my new goals is to get Smudge out for 4 hours a day for the last week... so far, so good. He got his time every day but Wednesday, cuz I wanst home, and hes been really good... Wich is really unlike him. So Im worried- Is he bored? When I check on him, 99% of the time hes asleep, and hes acually been really crabby lately too.

So Im wondering- Is everyone elses rabbits acitive during most of their floor time, or once they get used to having it really regularily, do they get bored and sleep alot?
Another thing Im wondering is, do you guys stay with your rabbits the entire time?
Smudge is only allowed in my room, and no where else.
I cant exactly shut myself in my room 4 hours a day with out worrying my mom, so alot of the time hes alone. (My room is really well bunny proofed tho, so hes fine C: ) Im trying to find a way to entertain him more, but hes been such a crab lately! His new cage today didnt even cheer him up! I just hope he isnt sick, and trying to hide it by isolating himself and sleeping alot... Hes been really touchy and growing at me more with I try to pick him up or something, so I hope he isnt hurt. I didnt feel anything wrong with him tho...

Okay, sorry Im kinda rambling about this... but Im just worried about how wierd hes acting, and I dont know if Im messing him up with excessive amounts of boredom. He has tons of toys layed out in my room, but he gets bored of those too. The ONLY thing he likes is that nasty bed of his...

Gosh, Im sooooo off subject now!

Okay, Im just wondering what you guts do for floor time, how you keep buns entertained, and if Im doing something that is making Smudge act wierd, or if I should take him to a vet, or if Im just over reacting about everything, wich I prolly am LOL!

Just trying to be a better bunny mom tho. C:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

is he stressed from the new cage?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, it might just be the stress of getting a new cage. It might be bigger and nicer, but it's just not what he's used to, so it might take him some time to get to like it. Maybe give him a special treat that he only gets when he's in the cage, to help him get excited about going in it. That's how I litter trained Flash.

As for play time, I try to let Flash out for 3-4 hours per day, though I don't always have that much time. I don't watch him every second, but my living room is pretty well bunny proofed, and I do check up on him regularly. He does just lie down to relax a lot of times, rather than being active and hyper the whole time. Sometimes he even stays in his cage, despite the door being open, especially if I let him out in the afternoon, which is sleepy time for him.

Actually, that brings up a good point. What time of day are you letting him out, and is it the same time every day? Flash tends to be active for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the evening, and he sleeps the rest of the day. On the weekends, if I'm home during the afternoon, I don't even bother opening the cage door any more, since he won't come out during his afternoon nap.

He does tend to get bored with toys after a while. He'll play with something a lot when it's new to him, then start ignoring it once he gets bored with it. I only give him one new toy at a time, and wait for him to get bored with it before giving him the next one. For instance, I bought a set of willow baskets because they were on sale this week, but I'm not giving them to him yet. I'm waiting for him to get bored with the phone book he's been shredding every day this week before giving him a basket to chew on.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I was going to ask what time of day your letting him out too, i think wild rabbits are most active in the mornings and evenings, and stay in there dens most the the day. so maybe you could try bringing him out a little later in the day to see if hes more active? Is he still eating good and going potty often?

Honestly, we haven't been letting our rabbit out as much as we should, right now theres alot of stuff sitting around and holes in the walls from doing repairs that theres way too much trouble she could get into, but she has had her little play yard permanently attached to the front of her cage for the last few months so she seems pretty happy. When we do let her out its usually late at night, and she spends most her time walking around under the chairs in the kitchen, the closest thing to trees shes seen i guess.. sometimes she'll get hyper run up and down the hallway like shes training for the Olympics, Then she'll find a bit of tiled floor where she can keep her eye on us, either in the kitchen doorway or in front of the back door.. and if we make any attempts to wrangle her back toward her cage she starts running again doing binkies and turns around to look back at us as if shes laughing at us. lol silly wabbit

My Furry Family
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ive been letting him out from 5:00pm - 9:00 pm, or a little earilier if I wont be home in that time frame. He wont move during the after noon either, but hes usually pretty active at night...
Oh, and with the new cage, hes not living it it yet- Im still working on getting it ready, and when he does get to live in it, it will only be at night.

LOL, Smudge doesnt like to go back either! If I try to catch him, he'll sprint out the door, down the stairs, and where ver else he can go before I catch up to him!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Betta Bomb

i usually take out Acacia first and then Akina into my room.Acacia hops about the room marking everything again and again and chewing the heck out of boxes. she likes to be left alone during this and will come up to me only occasionally. i do alot of arsty fartsy things in my room so the time doesnt bother me. Akina will practically sit in my lap the entire time she's out and is very cuddely although i DO have to leave her alone so she'll hop around since she's still a little robust on the waist and im trying to make her lose it

good luck getting your grump-butt to be less grump-butt-like!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

when it comes to what toys to leave out, i try to look at what she has been getting into. if lucy has been playing hidey-hole a lot, i pile of lots of boxes. if she's chewing a lot, i put out the chew toys, etc. it seems to work. i also agree she's MUCH more active right in the am, and right when i come home from work.

George orwell
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Betta Bomb

yes totally. my room has a tower of boxes : # which Acacia runs through and since Akina is more lazy i also littered my floor with almost every cat toy i could find in all the dollar stores for entertainment.

Tags
rabbit