What do you think? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Cool What do you think?

I have been really wanting to get a rabbit, but I also have cats and I am wondering if they could possibly fight through the bars of the cage? I would keep it in a large cage in my room and I was thinking that in the daytime I could give her/him full access to the room [only if litter trained] and keep the cats out and door shut. Then at night the cats could come in and the rabbit could sleep in the cage. Do you think that would work? If its not healthy for the rabbits or cats then I won't consider it any more...

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Playful Pup

I have a rabbit and a cat and they get along together

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

How do you do it? Do you keep the rabbit outdoors?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Rodentologist

Most cats tend to tolerate rabbits well. They're large and tame enough that most won't "hunt" or attack them, though of course, you have to be quite careful while introducing them and supervise them when your bunny is out and about.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Okay thank you!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Playful Pup

My cat is actually scared of the rabbit My bun chases my cat, it's quite cute. My bun lives in the house, she has freedom of the lower level of the house while we are home. My cat is however used to having dogs around as well, so she's pretty tame around my bun. If you're scared of the first meetings with regards to your cat clawing your bun, you can buy "soft claws" they're little plastic nails that glue onto your cats nails so that when they scratch ect it doesn't hurt or do any damage to any of your stuff. You can buy them at any pet store. Good Luck!!!

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thank you! One of my cats [15] is declawed, back then nobody really knew how bad it was. Oscar is big and has claws so I will have to be easier with him. I just really don't want the cats to ever bite or scratch the rabbit because I know how dangerous that can be for the bunny.

Scout [declawed] would probably be scared!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Betta Bomb

Illusion actually plays with the bunnies. Though he needs to be watched becasue Ive seen him get a little rough on Acacia. Introductions are key, when I moved back with mom I had to be very careful because Looshy had never seen a bunny before, was scared at first then came around thinking they were toys-(he has a lrage prey drive)- and now he knows not to be mean. He just chases them and Acacia chases him back when she's annoyed. He'll lie on the floor and put his paw to her and gently pat her head., its adorabubbles!! ^.^
Mama keeps away, I had Mama in my room when we found her with her kittens and Acacia and her fought a little.
Important is to introduce slowly.

Tags
pet rabbits and cats