What does everyone feed there rabbits? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

What does everyone feed there rabbits?

Just curious on what everyone feeds their buns? My babies came with two bags of food and I am wanting to switch them to something better just want some advice on what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Oxbow pellets

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM

I just feed him the standard pellets that the petstore near my house stocks, as well as plenty of meadow hay and a few vegetables as treats (more when he gets bigger). There is no ingredients list or brand name on them but it's not those mixes of things with coloured bits in, just your average brown pellets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Betta Bomb

Martins Little Friends-Rabbit
they get that in the morning, hay at all times and a big bowl of veggies at night
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I usually feed them Oxbow pellets, but I'm not as picky as I used to be and sometimes feed other brands if they have similar ingredients. I avoid brands like Kaytee, though. My rabbits also have unlimited access to hay (usually timothy, but I like to mix it up sometimes and feed oat, brome, meadow, orchard, herb, or bermuda hays). They also get fresh vegetables (and sometimes fruit) every day--usually at least a couple different kinds. The most common vegetables/herbs they get are romaine lettuce, parsley, cucumbers, carrot greens, and dandelion greens.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

My bunners get unlimited grass hays - I mix timothy with other grass hays - usually oat, brome, meadow, or orchard grass.

At night they get giant bowls of salad (at least 2 or 3 types of leafy greens, some veggies, and sometimes friut) and a small amount of Oxbow pellets.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
is a little "special"

Smudge gets unlimited hay, a salad everynight, and a 1/4 cup of pellets... His are just a big bag of some fleet farm brand (PRO-something), but it has too much protein, so I plan on switching him to something better once these are gone

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Betta Bomb

I forgot to mention that I bought romaine lettuce seeds!! You start it indoors and its hardy and prefers cool climate so I'm thinking it will thrive in my colder climate!!If im successful in a balcony lettuce garden I'll start others
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I've always been told not to give rabbits Lettuce that it will give them the runs.....interesting....
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

You shouldn't give them iceberg lettuce. Other kinds of lettuce such as romaine, red leaf, and green leaf are fine.

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
You shouldn't give them iceberg lettuce. Other kinds of lettuce such as romaine, red leaf, and green leaf are fine.
Ok I was just wondering because Any lettuce is advised against on the ARBA site.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Oh...I go by what the House Rabbit Society suggests and haven't had any issues. If in doupt, you can call your vet and ask their opinions. I haven't had any problems feeding my rabbits romaine and green leaf lettuce, but every rabbit is diffrent.

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Rodentologist

ARBA is a site geared towards breeders and I've often found that they handily "recommend against" many of the things that rescue-oriented sites feel are neccessary. One of their breeders has assured me for years that ALL VEGETABLES will kill rabbits, and yet the rabbits in our sanctuary average an 11 year lifespan (barring deaths due to illnesses and issues they had at intake).

I believe that ARBA also recommends a primarily pellet based diet and a cage as small as 2 square feet (which is less than half the size that rescues recommend for ONE guinea pig). They are an organization geared only towards breeders, and not towards rabbit welfare.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 AM

Yes, all vegetables kill rabbits - because before domesticity they subsisted solely on water and the fruit of the pellet tree.

Man, Holly's cage is 36" by 24" by 16" and I still feel the need to have it open half the day so he can wander my room at will. And he's little!

Out of curiosity, how young do you guys give vegetables? Holly's ten weeks today and I give him a little bit of dandelion and carrot which he seems to be taking to just fine, though I've been told not to give him vegetables until he's six months. (can't help it, he's too cute )
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM
is a little "special"

Keieeeye~Buns shouldnt have any veggies untill they are 6 months, but after they are a year old they should start having them daily, if I remember right. Its tempting, but you should really wait before you start givving him veggies!

Jennicat~ When you said that ARBA said "ALL VEGTABLES kill rabbits" did they mean that ONLY eating veggies would kill them, or that just having any vegtable in general would kill them? (Probably a stupid question, but Im a lil confused LOL) ARBA sounds aweful, if they keep buns in 2 square foot cages and never feed veggies...

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Closed Thread