what kind of hay? where do you buy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

what kind of hay? where do you buy?

Leo and Oliva turned 4 mos yesterday. The breeder and my vet both advised me, when they were brand new to give them alfalfa hay then to switch over to timothy by 4 mos. and cut down on pellets then too. Well we have been trying to switch them over by mixing the two hays together for a few weeks now without much luck. Queen Oliva does not like Timothy hay!!!! She will dig out all the best bits of alfalfa and then toss all the rest of the timothy all over her cage, even trying to get it out! She did this when we bought a different brand of alfalfa last month too. I would usually think she is being her usual drama queen self except the mild mannered Leo is acting the same with his hay. He will only eat the alfalfa and if I offer the timothy by hand he just turns his head and hops away. This is the guy who will eat anything usually..........where she always has to sniff, lick, circle and repeat all before ever eating anything new.....
Any suggestions? We have such limited places to buy supplies for rabbits here! Is there another type of hay I could try that is not as fattening as the alfalfa? I do not want to cut them off the alfalfa entirely until I find something they will eat.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Silly picky bunnies. You can try other types of grass hays such as orchard grass, brome, and oat hays.

How long have you tried to get them to eat the timathy? Sometimes it takes bunnies awhile to accept a new food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We have been trying for two weeks now to mix them so their tummies would get used to the new hay. I will see what other types are available around here, but so far I have only seen those two. I amy llok online.......the amount they ususally eat, I should buy in bulk anyway!! Oliva is always silly and picky but Leo usually will eat anything we offer, espeically if we hand feed it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I buy my hay online in bulk and it's cheaper then buying those little bags from the pet store and lasts much longer. Plus online it's easier to find the diffrent kinds of hay. I get my bunnies Oxbow hay, which you can get online from a bunch of diffrent online pet supply stores or directly from the company in 9lb and sometimes 25lb boxes. I ususally get my buns a 9lb box of timathy then some 40 ounce bags of diffrent types to mix in. The shipping can be kind of expensive sometimes but to me it's worth it. I'd rather have the hay in bulk delivered to my door every couple of months than have to run out to a pet store and buy the small bags every week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:21 PM
is a little "special"

I buy my hay from a horse stable. ^^
Its a mixture of a bunch of different stuff: theres some alfalfa and grass hay and other stuff. My buns and gpigs love it!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
I buy my hay online in bulk and it's cheaper then buying those little bags from the pet store and lasts much longer. Plus online it's easier to find the diffrent kinds of hay. I get my bunnies Oxbow hay, which you can get online from a bunch of diffrent online pet supply stores or directly from the company in 9lb and sometimes 25lb boxes. I ususally get my buns a 9lb box of timathy then some 40 ounce bags of diffrent types to mix in. The shipping can be kind of expensive sometimes but to me it's worth it. I'd rather have the hay in bulk delivered to my door every couple of months than have to run out to a pet store and buy the small bags every week.

Which website do you use?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I don't always use the same one but I can link you to a couple of them

I usually use this one...
http://www.rabbitstop.com/
This one I used a couple of times, mostly because I'm going to order a cage from them and I wanted to try ordering from them before I ordered a really expensive cage. This one had more expensive shipping though.
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/
You can order oxbow stuff right from their site.
http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp
And someone recommended this one to me before, but I never ordered from there.
http://www.bunnybale.com/

I know there are more sites out there that have tons of bunny stuff including hay so you could maybe shop around. I usually use Rabbit Stop, they sometimes have good sales and I've never had any problems with them.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

My buns hated Timothy hay too! I got them at 3 and a half years and my friend who owned them before told me she was still feeding them alfalfa because they refused to eat the timothy. I decided I'd better try different grasses, since that was the advice I'd read on this board before. So I got them some meadow grass and they switched it up just fine. Then, when my other friend's roommate had to give up her bunny, she gave me a small bag of her leftover timothy hay, hoping I'd be able to use it. Surprise, surprise, after having eaten the meadow grass for about a month, bunnies didn't mind some timothy in their play box anymore.

R.I.P.