What is up with Rusty? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Question What is up with Rusty?

Rusty is usually soooo good with his litter box, but lately he has been leaving LOTS of poops right in front of it. I keep sweeping them up and putting them in the litterbox, but he keeps doing it. Its so not like him. I've read that rabbits often do this when they feel the need to mark their territory. Since this has just recently started, I don't think its because of Sonora (other bunny). I think it might be because of Jasmine (new kitty). Isn't that weird? Rusty doesn't seem to like Jasmine. He actually chases her sometimes and she runs from him. Now all this pooping has started. What do you guys think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Certainly sounds plausible to me, especially since he's not fond of Jasmine.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Certainly sounds plausible to me, especially since he's not fond of Jasmine.
Yeah thats what I thought too. Its strange. I hope when she gets bigger he won't feel the need to dominate her (he doesn't act like that with my two big boys). He must have something against kittens!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yup sounds like that could be it.... Sadly ours don't always make the litter boxes either, we have 2 in their pen and the little one still hasn't quite gotten the full knack of it.... little poops, little poops over there, little poops, little poops not in there

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep sounds like that could be it!!! Molly and Shadow always poop outside when they are running around. It's a race to see who can mark the most!!! When they were closer to each other Shadow actually used to spray into Molly's cage!!!!! Hopefully he'll give up soon!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
yep sounds like that could be it!!! Molly and Shadow always poop outside when they are running around. It's a race to see who can mark the most!!! When they were closer to each other Shadow actually used to spray into Molly's cage!!!!! Hopefully he'll give up soon!!
I hope so too! I don't know why he doesn't like Jasmine. He was cleaner today though. I just got home from work and no poops are outside the box! But...Jasmine was locked out of the room all day so thats probably why!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Rusty is usually soooo good with his litter box, but lately he has been leaving LOTS of poops right in front of it. I keep sweeping them up and putting them in the litterbox, but he keeps doing it. Its so not like him. I've read that rabbits often do this when they feel the need to mark their territory.
What I read about poops, is that if it's all together in a group near litter box or a same spot, is that he is trying to tell you that something is wrong, especially if he as been fixed. I got this:

"Rabbit urine can range in colour from clear to yellow to red to rust to orange. Colour variation is normal, and not a cause for concern unless it is accompanied by other, troublesome signs such as straining to urinate, fever, sudden changes in water consumption, excessive or lack of urination, or loss of litterbox habits. These signs may be indicative of such problems as urinary tract infection, sludge (hypercalcinuria) or stones (calculi)."
From this website: http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo4.htm

Pooping everywhere is a sign of territory. But read about that subject because your bunny might be a exeption. If you still worry, bring your bun to the vet to get some testing done.

Hope this info helps you out....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks but they were pretty much all over, some in a corner and some in front of the litter box. He's fine healthwise...no symptoms and his urine is fine. Thanks for your concern though!

Tags
litter box, litter boxes, urinary tract infection