What is your bunny's fav hay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

View Poll Results: Beside Alfalfa, which of those is your bunny's fav?
Timothy Hay 14 87.50%
Oat Hay 2 12.50%
Orchard Grass 1 6.25%
Bunny Brome 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

What is your bunny's fav hay?

I would like to know what is your bunnies fav hay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My buns love timothy hay, but I've never given them anything else.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Mine are also grooving on the Timothy...they were eating Alfalfa when I got them but I heard somewhere it wasn't good for them after a certain age. I give the chins timmy, so that's what the buns get. I might try some oat hay for them as an occasional treat as well as for some of the chins that aren't real fond of the timothy

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Mine love timothy. They also get an oat,wheat, and barley hay mixture. They like the timothy best though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yes after 6 months, you should stop giving Alfalfa hay. It is fine like giving a bit once in a while, especialy if you have Timothy based pellets. Alfalfa has too much calcium. A good variety of hays is good for bunny. Orchard Hay has a sweet taste. I didnt list on the pool but My bunny loves the Mixed Hay! It's alsmost like seeing a cat on catnip! Are your pellets based on Aflalfa and your bunny is over 6 months? Try the Oxbow Bunny Basic T. It's the best quality Timothy based pellets you can find. (I dont work for them, I just know by experience) It's the lowest protein and highest fiber you'll find in pellets!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I used to give that to my fuzzylumpkins, but they hated the food. They never ate it and threw it in the litterbox and turned the food dish upside down. Spoiled little brats!
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

You are talking about the Bunny Basic T from Oxbow? I made the change gradualy with my bunny. It takes about one week to make a complete change. My bunny is weird he doesnt like Alfalfa much so I am lucky! But the mixed hay...you should try that. Let me know I can send you a sample of the mixed hay. my email is [email protected]
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I feed Kaytee Forti-Diet alfalfa pellets, although I know that timothy pellets are much better for them and I've heard that Oxbow is a good brand. I tried timothy pellets awhile back and my bunnies hated them too. I feed a very small amount of pellets (mostly hay and veggies) so I think my pellets are fine. I have noticed that Rusty has gained weight since I've had him, and I know that he used to be on Oxbow at the Rescue, so I might give it another try.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Newborn Pup

I dont feed any of them.

Mine get Meadow Hay, which they all eat.

Louise

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

bubba

I heard that Kaytee is fatning and not a good choice for pellets. This should help you out:

What makes a good pellet?
For the houserabbit pellets are a source of energy, protein, vitamins and minerals. An ideal pellet would have a nutritional analysis something like:

Crude fiber: 20-25%
Crude protein: 13-15%
Crude fat: < 2%

A good pellet should also be labeled with a manufacture date and a lot code. Presence of a milling date assures you that the pellets are fresh. Lot codes are necessary for proper quality control.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
bubba

I heard that Kaytee is fatning and not a good choice for pellets. This should help you out:

What makes a good pellet?
For the houserabbit pellets are a source of energy, protein, vitamins and minerals. An ideal pellet would have a nutritional analysis something like:

Crude fiber: 20-25%
Crude protein: 13-15%
Crude fat: < 2%

A good pellet should also be labeled with a manufacture date and a lot code. Presence of a milling date assures you that the pellets are fresh. Lot codes are necessary for proper quality control.
I agree, it is definitely fattening and they love those pellets because they have mollasses in them. But like I said, I feed a very small amount so its more like a treat. I'm going to look into getting some timothy pellets soon and trying again.

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

If you feed small amounts then if you stick with Alfalfa based pellets follow the % of fiber, protein and fat I listed. Oxbow Alfalfa based pellets (Bunny Basic 15/23) is the only Alfalfa based pellets with that much Fiber. In other brands, you'd have to get Timothy for getting that amount of Fiber. Here is how to make a change in brand pellets:

For example, if your rabbit eats 1/4 cup of pellets a day do the following:

Day 1 - 5: 1 cup old brand - 1/4 cup new
Day 6 - 10: 3/4 cup old brand - 1/2 cup new
Day 11 - 15: 1/2 cup old brand - 3/4 cup new
Day 16 - 20: 1/4 cup old brand - 1 cup new
Day 21 Switched over to new food

From this mix scoop out their daily feed allotment. Some animals are pickier than others and will literally eat around the new pellet. If your animal does this, be patient. There is always a small percentage of animals that will refuse any changes and test the will and stubbornness of the owner.

Let me know how it goes!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Here's what my Kaytee bag says:

Crude Protein 17%
Crude Fat 3%
Crude Fiber 18%

So obviously it has more fat and less fiber than you suggest. I haven't seen Oxbow in stores around here. I think I would have to order in online.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh wow! Sorry but I think you should switch pellet brand. My alfalfa based pellets from Oxbow is 15% protein, 2% fat and 22%-25% fiber. The Timothy based pellets from Oxbow is 14% protein, 1.5% fat and 25%-28% fiber. You can go on their website: http://www.oxbowhay.com/ to check out other wonderful things they have for bunnies. And they have a section where you can make a search based on your zip code to find a store near you that sells Oxbow. Me I have to drive 2 hours to Montreal for that ONLY vet that sells Oxbow...worth it! I guess you'll have to order online or by phone to get Oxbow if no stores near you.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks for the info, and the link. Bunny Basics/T looks really good. The store locator says that Oxbow is sold at a feed store right down the street from me, so I'll check it out. I just bought a bag of pellets yesterday so when it starts getting low I'll start making the switch.

Tags
alfalfa hay, collard greens, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, dandelion greens, feline pine, litter box, litter boxes, mustard greens, oat hay, rabbit pellets, timothy hay