Where did her dewlap go? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Where did her dewlap go?

When we first brought home Penelope she had this cute little dewlap. Now it's gone. We are trying to figure out why. She has been spayed. She has full roam of the back bedroom so she gets a lot of exercise. And she is under going a severe molt. Her tushy is actually bald in large spots. h
What do you guys think caused her to loose it? Should I worry that it's gone?
Side note:
I have read that during heavy molting you need to be sure they have plenty of hay and water of course. I have been plucking her to try to elminate hairballs. I also increased her salads to twice a day. I want to be sure to keep things moving through. And I also added some alfalfa hay to her diet. I read that they need more calories to grow the hair back.
Should I give her more alfalfa hay? She doesn't get a lot of it a day. She gets more timothy than alfafa.
She just seems so tiny compared to the other two chunk balls! Then again she is a dwarf bunny.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 12:42 PM

From what i understand, Dewlaps are a hormonal thing, now that your bun is spayed she no longer is producing those hormones so her dewlap will have gotten smaller. This is very normal for a spayed rabbit.

Hay is very important, as it's has lots of fiber and will help pass the hair the bun has digested. I would stick to the Timothy, unless she's a young bunny. Also try canned pumpkin during molts. I put the canned pumpkin in ice cube trays and freeze it, each time I need a cube I thaw it out and serve. The buns (and my dog) love it.
Brushing is important also
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

They are a hormonal thing! I was suspicious of that since Ophelia never developed one. She was spayed young.
I only gave her some alfalfa and mostly timothy but I will cut her back. I really have no idea how old she is but she has to be at least over 1. She just looks so thin to me now that she has molted. All her fluffy fur is gone and she is down to the heavier looking fur. The kind that just lays down. Do you think she had such a severe molt because of the spay?
You never heard they need more calories to grow back hair after a severe molt?
I am such a nervous nellie when it comes to the bunnies.
Oh and every day I am at her defuzzing her. I haven't found a good brush and haven't had a chance to grab the horse brush Dude's mom posted about. Luckily I have sweaty palms and they work very well!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
alfalfa hay