Where do you order your rabbit stuff from? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Where do you order your rabbit stuff from?

We will be needing to order some timothy pellets for hoppity soon, i didnt realize how old he was, i mean, it seems the time has gone so quickly.. he really needs to be on timothy pellets as hes getting to old for the alfalfa ones, and since walmart has decided to stop selling the only decent pellets they had, i need to get him some new before i run out of his old ones, to make the switch easier.. i looked at petsmart the last time i was there and i couldnt really find any decent ones.. so we'll have to order some, ive heard alot of people say they order oxbow pellets, and i was wondering do you order them directly from the oxbow site, or through another site?
They dont have hay at walmart anymore either, but we can get that at petsmart in the city.. or possible from a local farmer or something..
i also want to get him some grass mats, i cant find them anywhere around here. i found some once, but they had writting painted on them.. so that wouldnt be good... so i think i'll try and order some from somewhere.. also maybe some toys for him to play with while hes out on playtime..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hey!

I've been ordering Zeus stuff from here for awhile :

Rabbit Supplies & Rabbit Products - RabbitCentral.com

They use to sell 10lb boxes of Timathy hay - which is what Zeus eats, but they don't sell it anymore so I have to find somewhere else to get hay from. I'm not sure about the pellets, you'll have to look, Zeus doesn't eat pellets.

They're really good for toys and other supplies though. They have grass mats too!

I've ordered from them quite a few times and never had any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

We get our pet food and hay delivered from Pet Food Supplies Dog Cat Bird ... PetFoodDirect.com. They have Oxbow plus a bunch of other brands. Also, you can choose to have your order shipped on a regular basis. For example, we get our shipment of pet food every three weeks without doing anything.

But for other things (like toys) I order from Welcome to Bunny Bytes: Outfitters of the Urban Rabbit or Welcome to the Bunny Bunch Boutique!.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I tried to switch my rabbits to timothy pellets, but they refused to eat them. What I have done is cut down a little on the alfalfa pellets and increased the hay. I get hay from a horse boarding place, and sometimes suppliment with timothy hay from the pet store. Does anyone else have problems getting their rabbits to eat timothy pellets?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

What if you mix the two kinds of pellets and slowly get them use to the timathy ones? Like at first just put a small amount of them, and keep increasing it intill they're eating just timathy pellets?

I dunno - Zeus doesn't get pellets. He just gets unlimited timathy hay, and a bowl of greens for dinner.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Guarded by Waffles

rabbit.com has some rabbit stuff. I don't have rabbits, I'm just sayin

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain
What if you mix the two kinds of pellets and slowly get them use to the timathy ones? Like at first just put a small amount of them, and keep increasing it intill they're eating just timathy pellets?
I dunno - Zeus doesn't get pellets. He just gets unlimited timathy hay, and a bowl of greens for dinner.
I tried mixing the pellets, but my rabbits just picked out the alfalfa pellets and left the rest.
My vet told me that rabbits can live on just timothy hay and green, but some people think that rabbits need the supplements that are in pellets. I wonder what the best diet for rabbits is?

Last edited by moonchild; 04-07-2007 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

honestly, the very best diet for a rabbit would prolly be a fresh mix of veggies and wild grasses each day, but i dont think even the very best rabbit owner can achieve this.. which is why atleast some pellets are usually needed.. especially for young rabbits.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rabbits don't need pellets but if you aren't going to feed any definately research a lot. You'd have to feed tons of fresh vegetables and hay.

My rabbits only get a small handful of timothy pellets a day...they mostly eat veggies and hay. For example, today's dinner for my rabbits is romaine lettuce, baby spinach, thyme, parsley, red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, carrot greens, and maybe a small piece of watermelon or a couple baby carrots. They don't always get that much but I make sure to offer at least four different vegetables daily. Then they have unlimited Oxbow timothy hay and sometimes dried herbs, wild grasses, and oat hay. I might eventually cut out the pellets altogether. Even though Oxbow is one of the best brands here I still don't feel it's perfect enough .

But I'm obsessive with my animals' diets ^_^;.

I would slowly mix the timothy pellets in with their current ones but if they pick out the alfalfa ones don't replace them. They won't starve without pellets for a few days if they get veggies and hay. I'm sure eventually they'll try them . Good luck! It's not a big deal if they won't eat the timothy ones, though, as long as it's not their main diet and they get plenty of excercise.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the advice. I have also been warned not to give too many fresh veggies or they will get diareaha. My rabbits don't seem to have a problem with that. Maybe it is because they have unlimited hay. If I give too many veggies, they just leave some of them for later. They don't pig out on them until they get sick.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Thanks for the advice. I have also been warned not to give too many fresh veggies or they will get diareaha. My rabbits don't seem to have a problem with that. Maybe it is because they have unlimited hay. If I give too many veggies, they just leave some of them for later. They don't pig out on them until they get sick.
Yeah, I've heard that a lot too but have never had it happen...and I've had several rabbits. I think it's kind of a myth. It's true that it'll happen if the rabbit isn't used to that amount of veggies or if you feed too many of the "wrong kind" but otherwise I don't worry about it. And by the wrong kind I mean tons of sugary veggies such as carrots or calcium-rich veggies like kale and spinach. Some tend to give rabbits gas, too. It's all about researching and finding the right balance .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Yeah, I've heard that a lot too but have never had it happen...and I've had several rabbits. I think it's kind of a myth. It's true that it'll happen if the rabbit isn't used to that amount of veggies or if you feed too many of the "wrong kind" but otherwise I don't worry about it. And by the wrong kind I mean tons of sugary veggies such as carrots or calcium-rich veggies like kale and spinach. Some tend to give rabbits gas, too. It's all about researching and finding the right balance .
A friend of mine had rabbits a long time ago. She knew nothing about rabbits and fed them only veggies and they died. I don't doubt that some rabbits get sick from too many greens, but I question the circumstances.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
A friend of mine had rabbits a long time ago. She knew nothing about rabbits and fed them only veggies and they died. I don't doubt that some rabbits get sick from too many greens, but I question the circumstances.
Most likely they weren't getting hay or something =/.

Unfortunately most people don't know much about rabbits which is ironic since they are one of the more popular pets. I feel petstores are partially to blame.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I feed mine Oxbow pellets, timothy grass hay and 2-3 kids of green veggies per day. It's usually 3 kinds but sometimes I run out and it's only 2. They also get a couple of baby carrots cut into slices and some homemade banana chips broken up on top. I feed them greens like romaine, kale, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, escarole, turnip greens.
I just tried treating them last night to baby food pears. They enjoyed those. I decided that maybe I should introduce them to baby food just in case I ever need to feed them that like I did Tabby. I used a syringe to give it to them so they know syringes mean yummy things. It worked.
Oh and you can check Oxbow's site to see if anyone near you sells Oxbow products. I believe that some feed stores carry it. It's worth a try. I hate paying shipping on things.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

ive checked around and no where near us carries Oxbow.. theres a pet store by my mom in wisconsin, and i thought about having her ship it to me, but it would prolly be just as expensive, and she doesnt like going to petstores so.. yeah.. prolly wouldnt work to well.. maybe i could suggest them to the pet store in weatherford that we got the corys from.. altho i think rabbits is the only small pet they dont sell im prolly going to end up just buying them offline from somewhere.. next time we go to another town im going to try to hit a different walmart to see if they still carry the pellets hes on now so we have more time for him to adjust to the other ones..

My Furry Family

Tags
grass hay, oat hay, pet food, pet store, romaine lettuce, timothy hay