Wild Bunny Found! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wild Bunny Found!

This is the 2nd one this week that my neighbors cat has caught and dragged into their house.

The first one did not make it, but it was MUCH younger than this one.

This one's eyes are open, it has a very fat belly, it is injured a bit, it appears as though its leg is hurt [however...could be cause it is young].

My questions are since it's belly is SOOO fat...should it be stimulated? I'm not sure if it needs to be made to potty or not at this age. Also should the heat pad be on for him?

I have placed clover, unflavored oats in his cage. I've gotten him to drink a little pedialyte, because he was dehydrated and he really still needs more. The problem is he won't eat much.
However, he does hop around a lot when I try to syringe him pedialyte.

In case this helps: I believe it is a cottontail bunny. If these open their eyes at 9 weeks then it has to be 9 weeks old. Is it correct that they don't open their eyes until 9 weeks?

Want a pet-sitter?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click on Rachael's Pet-Sitting. Thanks! =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Newborn Pup

Hi there!

I think the best thing you can do is take the baby to a rehabilitation center. There is a lot of debate about what is best for wild cottontails (hands-off or hands-on approach), but using either technique, I think the rehabilitator would know what to do best.
From your profile it looks like you live in NY. If I'm correct, check out this link for local rehabilitators.
Click on your county!

If you're ambitious and willing to try to care for it on your own, here are a couple of articles I found.
I think he might be the most helpful
Can't go wrong with info from the HRS...
Quick-release method from the House Rabbit Network

Best of luck, let me know if that was at all helpful and how everything goes!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thank you.
I'll check that list out most certainly.

I'm going to a party about an hour away from where I live today...I'll be taking him with me so I can take care of him. I'll be putting him in a quite place. It's on a farm so finding a quite place shouldn't be too hard.

Tomarrow I will likely take him to a rehabillitator.

Want a pet-sitter?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I think a rehabber would be the little guys best bet. He may need medical care if he was bitten or scratched by the cat - cat bites very often cause infections in rabbits that can be deadly if not treated.

Good luck!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

He passed. =(
I tried to keep him alive and I had a rehabillitar found for when I got home, but the little guy was lifeless when I awoke this morning.
Poor baby. =(

Want a pet-sitter?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Aww I'm sorry, poor thing.

Wild rabbits, especially young ones, can be hard to keep alive in captivity esp. if they're injured. At least you know the rahabbers info now in case you ever find another wild rabbit.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Curmudgeon

It's rare for them to survive without quick professional care. Cats carry lots of bacteria in their mouths and claws that are particularly bad for small mammals and birds.

This is why people should not let their cats out. Native wildlife suffers from these non-native predators. Hundreds of millions (literally) of small animals die from cats every year in the US from feral cats and from pets that are allowed to roam free. ...

/rant off

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Hi. I am new to this and hope I am doing this right. Baby rabbits are very hard to raise without mom. If you find one that is out of its nest (with eyes closed) try to put it back in the nest. The mother only with them when she feeds them which is morning and sun down. If you can not find the nest then keep them warm and feed them "mothers milk" kitten replacement twice a day and no more than twice a day. After feeding rub there tumy with a warm wet cotton ball or rag to get them to pee and poop. Do not over feed them, this could kill them. The less amount of time you handle them the better it is for them. Release them into the wild when they are about 4 weeks. I raised a wild baby once and am now trying to raise two of my rabbit's babies. I know of web sit that is pretty good and if any one wants the address please e-mail and I will give it to you.
catladyscat
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Playful Pup

I have a similar story where one of my sister's friends had a baby wild rabbit dragged in by their dog. He's holding the rabbit at his house for now but is unsure what to do with it. The size of the rabbit described by my sister leads me to believe it's somewhere around 3~5 weeks old. He supposedly said he wants to give the rabbit away and I want to take the rabbit in but I don't think my parents will approve :/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Wild rabbits don't make good pets, and shouldn't be kept in captivity unless they have injuries that make them unreleasable. You can't expect a wild rabbit to behave the same way a domestic one would.

The best thing you can do for any wild baby bunnies is to find a rehabilitater where it will be raised and released, and will be given any medical care it may need.

If you want a pet bunny, there are thousands of adorable domestic rabbits in shelters.