Will they ever get along? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Will they ever get along?

Hello! My son got a 1 yr old male rabbit for his birthday and I was wondering the best way to introduce him to our dogs. We keep the rabbit in his cage most of the day in our dining room and the dogs (a one yr old husky mix and a one yr old min pin) have investigated the cage and are intrested in what's inside but they haven't done anything to try to get at the rabbit. The bunny gets to come out for about a hour during the day while his cage is being cleaned and at night after the dogs go to bed I let him out for a few hours so he can run around but I would like to allow him to have more freedom during the day so I can get some sleep at night. Him and our cat have become good friends and play alot but I'm really worried about the dogs hurting him, can anybody suggest the best way to introduce them or is this something that may never work out? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I believe that www.rabbit.org has some info on introducing rabbits to other pets. I have two rabbits that get along with my kitties, but I don't have any dogs so I can't give you any suggestions there. Carmen (RSBunny) has a dog and bunnies so I'm sure she can help you once she sees this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you veggiegirl, I got alot of great information there, it should be very helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

~
~

~*~*~
or
~*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

Personally, I would never trust a rabbit and a dog alone together; especially the type of dogs you have. Even a very calm dog can go wild if it smells rabbit blood. All it takes is for the dog to play a little rough, even if it means the rabbit no harm.

Huskies are closer to wolves than many breeds, and they can be very predatorial. MinPins have a high prey drive as well. Many dogs that leave a rabbit alone in the cage will have their predatory instincts turn on if they see the rabbit roaming around. Then it turns from a curious object into prey to chase. Whatever you do, never leave them alone together and stay very close so that you can intervene if needed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have just completely given up on them being friends. I've see how they act and you are right. I've tried putting the dogs on leashes and letting the bunny out, they are fine until he moves then they are trying everything to get to him. It's ok though, we are finding different ways to allow more free time for him.

~
~

~
~

~*~*~
or
~*~*~
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm glad you are finding ways to make it work, and that the site was helpful for you. I'm kind of going through the same thing but with my cats and hamster. Its hard for me to bring her out because they see her as prey. Luckily they do not see my bunnies as prey (weird, huh?). I could leave them alone all day in the same room together and they would be fine.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My only problem is that I haven't gotten our bunny fixed yet and he seems to think that our male cat would make a fine girlfriend. Other then that they get along great! I had a cat when I was younger that was best friends with one of my hamsters, didn't like the other two, but would snuggle with her and protect her from the other cats. It amazes me how animals pick and choose who they want as friends!

~
~

~
~

~*~*~
or
~*~*~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

deogees mum since I was 8 I have owned rabbits and dogs. My first dog Cindy, who is still alive, is a beagle/Kelpie x and I trust her totally with my rabbits!!! She cuddles with them, when she was younger, and I was a lot younger (and not as wise on rabbits) we used to let her chase the rabbits around the back yard until they tired and they would stop dead and she would just stand there. Supringisly none of those rabbits died of a heart attack! I'd never allow it again!!!
Then I had a cattle dog/pit pitbull who thought the rabbits were just like a moving stuffed toy. He accidently killed one when the rabbit escaped his run and after that I made it my responsibility to get him to accpet them. I would just lock me, the dog, and a rabbit in a room. Not too many things in the room for the rabbit to hide in but a couple of things so it could feel safe. I didn't want the rabbit under the lounge for an hour while I was trying to train the dog! I would just hold him there and reward for him for every second he was settled and we did this every day, slowly building times. Then I attached a lead to him so he could get closer but I could pull him back if necessary. After one month he used to let the rabbits bite his ankles, jump all over him etc. inside....outside they were fair game!!
I now have a pure bred staffy....she is pretty good with the rabbits. I don't leave her unsupervised with them cause she trys to play and if she ever lands on one then she'll kill them with her weight. However she is getting heaps better and will now whine and yelp but will stay still cause she knows she isn't allowed to play with them. I can trust her enough to leave the rabbit room door open and she will sit at the door and make sure they don't get out but she won't go in and her bed is in that room too!
So with time and persistance you can get them to live together peacefully, just don't ever have an afternoon nap with them all running around the house together!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Adolescent Pup

LOL! Your poor cat! Yeah, some male bunnies are...well...very male!

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deogeesmom
My only problem is that I haven't gotten our bunny fixed yet and he seems to think that our male cat would make a fine girlfriend.
Yep!!! My FEMALE bunny would chase my cats around and mount them non-stop before she was spayed. It was a site to see! The poor cats had to run upstairs to get away.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

at least your male bunny doesn't think that you are his girlfriend!! One of my rabbits used to chase me around the house trying to do the deed to my leg!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, female rabbits can be pretty...uh...forward sometimes, too!

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

Tags
cattle dog, husky mix, male cat, pure bred