Will They Ever Get Along? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Will They Ever Get Along?

Well I have been working on "bonding" Sonora and Rusty in the hopes that I can put them together someday. I've had Rusty since summer and he and Sonora are side be side in separate pens. I figured since they have had a chance to get used to each other, I'd give bonding another try. I have already done everything "by the book." I've tried neutral territories, small spaces, putting them on chairs together, or putting them together in scary situations. Nothing works. Rusty is tramatized because his ears were bitten up sometime in his life, and he thinks he needs to defend himself against Sonora (who has no intentions of fighting with him) and starts boxing her. Then she gets upset and fights back.

I was having some luck with letting them have the run of the apt. at the same time. They do fine with each other and long as Rusty has space to run away from Sonora. Usually she ignores him and does her own thing, but sometimes she wants to play chase with him and he gets scared and runs from her. Then she gets mad and if she catches him, she takes a chunk of fur out of his behind. So obviously its not working out. Is there anything else I can do to help Rusty overcome his fears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:46 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you...maybe they're just not meant to get along? I'm sure they'll get along someday, though. Good luck and don't give up.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I'm sorry I can't help you...maybe they're just not meant to get along? I'm sure they'll get along someday, though. Good luck and don't give up.
Thanks girl! It would work out if poor Rusty wasn't so tramatized from what happened to his ears. He is the sweetest rabbit, but he FREAKS around Sonora. I would love for them to be friends because I know they would enjoy each other's company once they were bonded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:48 PM

Maybe you should get a stuffed animal that looks like Sonora, put it in her cage for awhile so the scent clings to the toy. Then put it in with Rusty and maybe play with him and act like it's a real bunny and maybe have the stuffed bunny touch Rusty's ears. It's a suggestion, crazy as it might be, it might work.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe you should get a stuffed animal that looks like Sonora, put it in her cage for awhile so the scent clings to the toy. Then put it in with Rusty and maybe play with him and act like it's a real bunny and maybe have the stuffed bunny touch Rusty's ears. It's a suggestion, crazy as it might be, it might work.
Good suggestion but I think he would just fling it around. Rabbits are pretty smart.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:55 PM

Still, try it! See, I'm like a horse whisperer, except with rabbits. A rabbit whisperer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Still, try it! See, I'm like a horse whisperer, except with rabbits. A rabbit whisperer.
Um...sure...ok, I'll try it.

Tags
stuffed animal