Wood - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wood

what kinds of wood are good for bunnies to chew?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*~* JEN *~*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Part of the Pack

Hello

i'm not exactly sure of the specifics on rabbits and wood- but when i brought my rabbit to an emergency vet once she told me i shouldn't give my rabbits the colored chew sticks and stuff b/c of the dyes in them. i don't know if she was correct when saying that though. she told me its better to give rabbits cardboard tubes and stuff like that to chew instead.

i don't know if this is any help at all- and i dont even know if what that vet said was true- but i find that my bunnies prefer to chew on cardboard things anyway.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Rabbits can have Apple wood, Willow, Maple, Lilac, Orange, Lemon and dethorned Rose Canes. Stay away from Cedar, Peach and Apricot. I wash my wood, cut it in pieces and freeze it to keep it fresh. Freezing it also kills any bugs that might be on the wood.

For mor information on the importance chewing and dental care, try this site: (www.mybunny.org/info/dental_care.htm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

tyvm that was extremely helpfull

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ok Is Weeping Willow Ok?????????

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Weeping willow is just fine. It is among the wood that is most recommended.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thankx you so much i have been trying to find this out for days now and no one knew the answer tyvm

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There is a lot of information out there on wood, but I think most of it is just someone's opinion, it gets posted somewhere, and then everyone gets on the bandwagon. I have read that Plum wood is toxic to rabbits, but I gave it to my rabbits for over a year on a weekly basis until I read it is toxic, and they didn't have any problems with it. I haven't seen any of what I would call "real research" on this subject.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok what about corkscrew willow aka curley willow? good stuff? and also what do you know about the leaves on willows? anywillow?

*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I can only guess that any willow and willow leaves are alright, since apple and willow are the woods I have seen most recomended.

I have read that with fruit wood, if you dry the wood out for 30 days, the cyanide contents of the wood will disappear. Apple wood doesn't need to be dried.

Tags
emergency vet