Wood to chew? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wood to chew?

I think I remember seeing somewhere that certain types of wood are poisonous to rabbits. What type of wood should I look for when buying chew toys for Flash? Any lists of all woods that are ok or not would be great.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Anyone? I really need to find something I can shove under my couch to prevent him from getting under there (I don't have enough phone books to do the trick), so I was thinking of getting some 2x4's from the hardware store, but I want to make sure they won't be poisonous to him if he tries to chew on them.

--Fromper
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I know you're not sappose to give them treated wood, or cherry, peach, apricot, plum, cedar, or redwood.

I've tried looking up rabbit safe wood before and had trouble finding information. Most sites will tell you the types of wood that it's safe to give them to chew, like apple branches. But oveously your not going to use apple branches under your couch.

If anyone else knows more hopefully they'll post! If not, you could try emailing the house rabbit society or talking to your local rabbit rescue, they might be able to give you more information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Newborn Pup

How about Aspen or Poplar?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Try this site: www.carrotcafe.com

If you get wood branches, you might want to freeze it first. Freezing it will kill any bugs that might be hiding in the wood.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I went to the hardware store to see what they had, and I ended up buying a whitewood 2x4. I looked it up on the internet afterwards, and it seems to be safe for rabbits.

So I used that to block up the front of the couch, and I used old phone books to block up the back (which is what I'd originally tried, but Flash managed to get in through the front that I through was too low for him), and the little goober still managed to find a spot in the back that he could sneak in. It's like a little crack between the couch sections that I thought would be too narrow for him. I shoved a 2 inch wide water bottle in there to plug that hole, so I think it's pretty secure now.

My main concern isn't so much that he was under the couch as the fact that he managed to crawl up INTO the couch. There's sharp springs in there he could hurt himself on, not to mention that I can't get to him when he's in there. So this seems to be working so far, and he even chewed a little bit on the end of the 2x4 that stuck out a little, so he's got a new chew toy that's good for his teeth. We'll see if he finds any other way to get under there that I missed - he's fairly determined.

--Fromper

Tags
chew toy, chew toys, house rabbit society