Worried about Simon's butt! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Poooooppp!

Worried about Simon's butt!

Hi guys!

I recently cleaned Simon's butt because I noticed some feces there and it turns out there's a lot stuck to his fur down there, I cleaned the one around his hole but I'm worried about the rest, should I take him to the vet??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Newborn Pup

try using warm water on a soft cloth or sponge...wet the butt area well....softly rub the affected spots...see how this works... sometimes there may be some wet matter that comes out and then dries on the fur....you may have to wrap him in a towel to keep him settled while you do this
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Betta Bomb

He's the hotot, right? (Looks myself) yep! Okay there might be a few reasons he's got a dirty bum : Overweight or sick most commonly.
*What's his diet been lately? Anything new? He might have had a bit of diarrhea due to a change.
* Have you noticed him eating his cecals? Sometimes heavier bunnies cannot reach their anus to directly eat the cecals and then they end up with dirty bottoms because they sit in it.
* Drafts and severe changes in environment can spark a stress reaction which gives them a touch of diarrhea. Less common however.
*How is Speckle? Is she the same? THe thing wit bonded bunnies is that if everything is the same in diet, activity etc with both and she is not dirty that it might be a sign that he needs to be checked out at the vet. Perhaps not though, watch his litter box for poops. Examine the poops to see that they're dark colored, round, and erm.. Well moist- looking as opposed to dried out looking. You don't even have to touch them to see this. Looking at poop is a basic thing to check, try to have him use his own for a day or something. I don't know how hard that might be. Also, check his urine for sludge. It couldn't hurt to know if he's maybe got too much calcium going through him and a possible blockage.
*As for cleaning, do you know what hibitane soap is?? It's a dilute chlorhexadine solution which acts as a harmless cleaner and anti-bacterial. Vets sell it but I don't know if you can buy it elsewhere. You can dilute some iodine to keep the fur clean but make sure you rinse well!! It stains and shouldn't be ingested. Also make sure no iodine gets into his orifices!! And finally, make sure he's dry after washing his bum. When bunnies get wet they can get even sicker drying out. Try not to have fans or drafts near him as he dries.
*finally- good luck!! Hopefully it's nothing serious. Sometimes it's hard to backtrack monitor diet and environment. Keep him eating and watch him is all for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Is he overweight? What's his diet like?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Poooooppp!

I haven't been on here in a while, but the matter seems to be getting worse, the truth is I don't know if he's overweight but Speckle is completely clean, Simon does however sit in the litter box a lot. He has poop all over his butt and I've cleaned whatever I can but a lot of it is super stuck and I'm scared to hurt him, I think I definitely need to have him seen by a vet. Maybe he is overweight, I think I'm just gonna make a vet appointment.

Purple-Hops: what is the poop suppose to look like? I think I just havent been monitoring their diet too well, but he's so lazy, speckle is so active and I'm getting really worried, where can i get this soap stuff?

Last edited by Jovie; 03-05-2012 at 09:17 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Poooooppp!

Update: I took Simon to the vet this morning and the vet says he's overweight and gave me some stuff to put in his food, guess he's going on a diet :/

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh bunny diets suck!! It's hard because they want treats and you cannot give them treats!! I had to put my old mini rex on a diet when I first got her. Increase the hay and bathe his bum.
Hibitane soap is available at the vet. However, you can dilute some iodine or betadine and rinse his bum very well. The betadine will make sure there is no bacteria to stay there. Dry him really well and make sure there are no drafts near him. Bunny fur can take a while to dry and he'll need to stay warm.

I think a diet is easier than plumping though.. Acacia has lost some weight and now I have to get her interested in eating!!! Gahh!!

Good luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Dry baths sometimes work well depending on the situation, and then you don't have to worry about their fur being wet.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

Good luck with the diet!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Poooooppp!

yeah, It really sucks because I'm going to have to feed them separately for a while... ughhh!!