Worried and preparing for worst - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Worried and preparing for worst

Hi

My one year old Harlequin suddenly developed an eye problem a few days back. Her eye is protruding and discharging. Then she stopped eating, nothing would tempt her. I took her to the vets, and she's on antibiotics, plus some liquid food, but I think it's looking worse each day.
I've got to take her back on Monday, and she might need X-rays to determine what is happening, but I've just a got a bad feeling about it.
Anyone else had to go through this? I'm really worried.

Froggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Part of the Pack

My prayers are with you!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh, I'm so sorry. I haven't been through it so I can't offer any advice. What antibiotic is your bunny on? I hope she pulls through. Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Having had rabbits for 12 years, I have gone through that a few times. It is often caused by one of the same bacteria that causes Snuffles, the dread disease in rabbits. Pasteurella mutocida is the one that rabbit owners tend to fear the most, but Bordatella bronchiseptica, Staphyloccoccus aureas, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and other bacteria as well. Pasteurella and Bordatella are the ones I have dealt with most, both in my rabbits and in the rabbits of others. Pasteurella can cause many problems; snuffles symtoms, eye infections (conjunctivitis), abscesses (internal and external), wry neck (torticollis), mastitis (infection of the mammary glands), pyometra (infection of the uterus), orchitis (infection of the testicals), and septicemia (infection of the blood stream, which can cause a lot of different problems). Bordatella can cause many of the same problems.

Depending on the bacteria causing it, it may be almost impossible to cure. Pasteurella is especially well known for being very hard to cure. Many of the antibiotics used only kill off the bacteria from certain parts of the body, but do not reach it all. This means, at best, the rabbit remains a carrier of the disease. At worst, the infection will return, possibly worse than before.

It is extremely important that you get a full culture done, if your vet has not already done one. A culture tells the vet what species (and possibly subspecies) of bacteria is infecting the eye, and they can test the bacteria's sensitivity to different antibiotics. It may be possible that you are dealing with a straing of the bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotic that is being used. In that case, it is essential to know that so you can switch to a different antibiotic before it is too late.

Keeping your rabbit hydrated is vital. If she is not drinking on her own, ask your vet how to force water into her. You can use a plastic syringe without the needle to give her water. Dehydration will worsen her condition, lessen her ability to fight off infection, and will cause her to die much faster. Keeping something in the digestive system at all times is important, too. Healthy rabbits never have empty intestines. There is always food, in some stage of digestion, in there. This keeps the gastrointestinal tract moving smoothly and keeps it healthy. Without anything in there, it can lead to gastrointestinal stasis, which is where the gut stops moving. This can lead to the "bad" bacteria taking over the "good" bacteria in numbers, and causing an entirely new, deadly, problem.

Good luck, and I hope your baby makes it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Update

Well, good news is, Sherri is back home and in one piece kinda!
It's an abscess, and a big one at that, taking up nearly all of her little mouth

I was scared when I saw the wound where they drained it, it was almost an inch long, my poor little baby.

She's not out of the woods yet, but she's lively which the vets are pleased with, just gotta get through the next fews days.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Sherri and me!!!

Froggy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 06:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPFROG
Well, good news is, Sherri is back home and in one piece kinda!
It's an abscess, and a big one at that, taking up nearly all of her little mouth

I was scared when I saw the wound where they drained it, it was almost an inch long, my poor little baby.

She's not out of the woods yet, but she's lively which the vets are pleased with, just gotta get through the next fews days.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for Sherri and me!!!
I hope you and Sherri are ok? Both of my bunnies have recently had eye problems, it was Conjunctivitis, so I had to put in their eye drops 3 times a day.... Your bunny is lucky that she has a owner who is prepared to visit the vets, and not leave her unwell..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Good luck with your bun! I hope she gets healthy very soon!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'll keep you both in my prayers! Glad to hear she is still moving well, though. That is a very good sign.

Miyabita Designs
Affordable, custom, hand-coded websites, plus graphics

Usagi no Tsukiyo
A well of rabbit information

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I have my fingers crossed for you and sherri.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy