Would you trust a humane society to spay/neuter? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Would you trust a humane society to spay/neuter?

Hi everyone! Well, on this other bun forum I belong to, someone is getting their buns spayed/neutered, which (in there state, haven't checked prices here) only costs $50/$60. I know that spaying Sunny is important, and I want to get it done ASAP, but honestly can't pay $200-$300 dollars for it. I'm wondering if, since it seems so much cheaper and a great deal, do you think it would be to good to be true? My mom is gonna call them tomorrow to talk about possibly getting Sun spayed since the MI is closed for the night.

Thanks!

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Betta Bomb

As long as the vet is experienced in exotics I dont see why it would hurt? Usually with SO many rabbits coming through and having to spay them all, I think the vet would be half experienced? Go to www.rabbit.org and compile the necessary questions to ask.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

omg you have to pay that much for spay/neuter!?
neuter is $50 here, spay is $70
and thats from the vet!
I guess we are lucky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
RAT ADDICT

I second that.As long as the vet is reputable,experianced and know what they are doing.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wasn't even aware humane societies could do if the animal was under your personal care... hrm...:/ I dunno....good luck, though.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Playful Pup

Some humane societies offer special discounts on spay/neuter because it lessens the amount of animals they see coming in.
I know of one place not far from here that offers discounted spay/neuter for cats at certain times of the year to help keep the kitty population down.

$200-300 for a spay/neuter is absolutely ridiculous!
Check into the vet that is offering the cheaper spay/neuter. Ask for credentials and if the vet is reputable, I'd say go ahead with the cheaper one!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Betta Bomb

What?? I payed 237$ for Acacia's spay :/
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

I totally trust the humane society to spay and neuter my buns. The bunny vet here charges almost $300 for a spay. I think I paid around $80-ish at the humane society. The humane society is all about controlling the pet population... they do spay and neuters regularly... even on buns. So far they have spayed 2 of my buns for me.

~ Debrya
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Rodentologist

It would depend on the Humane Society and my rabbit's health.

Spay/neuters at the vet are usually more expensive because they're more involved. A $250 spay will typically involve pre-surgical bloodwork and have your rabbit hooked up to breathing/heart monitors with someone monitoring the anesthesia and your pet at all times.

A spay from a humane society is much like a spay at a low-cost clinic -- it's bare bones. No blood work, no tech monitoring, and none of the extra equipment used to make sure your bunny is stable during the surgery.

If there's not a problem in general, your bunny should be fine, but if there is a problem on the table, your rabbit is more likely to come out of it alive in at a vet's office. That doesn't mean the Humane Society is doing it wrong, they're just not using as many monitors and diagnostics beforehand so that more people will spay and neuter their animals.

Overall, it's a personal decision that you have to think about and decide if you feel comfortable with.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, some good and bad (well bad cuz I'm so scared for her)
My poor Sun is getting spayed . We made contact w/the MI Humane Society's Veterinary Center, and it costs $100, & and extra $20 for pain medication. And guess what? It's on Friday the 13th. What a creepy day. I may just reschedule for another day, but I'd hate to hold it off anymore. That Friday is really scary...non the less my baby has to stay the night! I have to miss a bit of school in the morning because I am NOT letting her go in w/out me saying I love her . She has to be in at 8AM, and I'm guessing they just really want to watch her for the hours afterward. Anyone who has gotten a bun spayed, is it normal to be held over night? Ik she'll need cage rest afterward, but I never knew my baby would be there all night ;(. I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. She can't eat after 8pm Thursday night, prolly because of the anesthesia. Send some prayers/hugs/good vibes mine and Sunny's way.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I don't mean to discourage you, it's a good thing that you are looking into getting your bunny spayed.

However, it's not a good sign that the vet told you not to feed her the night before. Bunnies should not be fasted the way that cats or dogs are. Rabbits can not throw up, so it's not a risk the way it can be in other animals. Fasting rabbits can be dangerous for them and I wouldn't trust a vet who told me not to feed my rabbits before surgery.

I would call them and question them about it. Sometimes techs or receptionists give out the wrong info by accident.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 11-05-2009 at 04:03 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
is a little "special"

I trust my Humane Society, cause they go to the same rabbit-savvy vet that I do!
I would also call and check on that. The receptionist at my vet accidentally gave me the pre-surgery info off of the dog/cat sheet, and she told me not to feed Smudge the night before. I called back the next day, and they said it was a mistake- Smudge could eat all he wanted!
So definatly double check that. If they still want you to fast Sunny, then honestly I wouldnt go through with it. I was all ready to cancel Smudges neuter if they had told I was supposed to fast him!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I trust my Humane Society, cause they go to the same rabbit-savvy vet that I do!
I would also call and check on that. The receptionist at my vet accidentally gave me the pre-surgery info off of the dog/cat sheet, and she told me not to feed Smudge the night before. I called back the next day, and they said it was a mistake- Smudge could eat all he wanted!
So definatly double check that. If they still want you to fast Sunny, then honestly I wouldnt go through with it. I was all ready to cancel Smudges neuter if they had told I was supposed to fast him!

I didn't even really think about that until someone else on another bun forum brought it up. I realized that the anesthesia made people and other animals vomit and told my mom about it. They're closed now, so we're gonna call tomorrow.
Thank you

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
is a little "special"

Rabbits are not capable of vomiting, so theres not a risk there. Bunnys should have something in their tummies 24/7, and if they went under anethetic with an empty tummy it could really slow down their recovery. And right after buns are fixed, especially girlies probably wont want to eat right away. So its VERY important that they have something in them before they are put under!
Good luck! I hope that it was just a mistake, and I hope that Sunny does well next week!
As long as you have a good vet, its honestly nothing to worry about. Ive seen a spay before, and its really not as bad as you might think

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Betta Bomb

YES! As they said, DO NOT fast Sunny! It's already been explained why above ...Also, when I had Acacia done, there was no need to keep her overnight. I brought her in for like 8 am and by 5 pm when I was done work I picked her up. The surgery only last a few minutes or like a half hour or something so in all those hours she was monitered by the staff and stuff. I dont see how keeping her overnight will do anything more than what you'd do if she was at home honestly. Usually a tech/assistant is only present in an overnight shift IF ON CALL... No one in our vets stays overnight at all unless emergency or checking up on severe cases for meds. Ask about "Critical Care for Herbivores" it's a mix for bunnies when they won't eat and chances are, Sunny won't want to eat after her spay :/ No fears, the vet set me up with CCfH and it replenishes her vital nutrients she's missing from food but also encourages her to eat somehow... Wonderful thing to have on hand at all times!!

Dont worry about Friday the 13th.. Its only a media induced fear. Nothing will happen to her.
Good luck!! We're all thinking about you and Sunny!!