Yard Training! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Talking Yard Training!

A few weeks ago, I was talking with a nother bunny owner, and she said her bun was "yard trained"! That means that she trained her rabbits to run around in her yard, and she taught them not to go past certain boundries.

Ive always wantd to do that eith Smudge, so i tried it this morning!
I dont like usin my harness on him anymore, cuz last time I put one on him, he completly freaked out for no apparent reason, so I dont wanna put one on him again.
I let him run around a small part of my yard this morning with just a collar on, and he was acually really good!
When he went past a "boundary", I would make a loud-ish noise, stomp my feet, and guide him away from where he was going, and he learned super fast!
But he did try to go into the woods once (his fav place to play), otherwise he listened! ^^

I just feel super happy that I can trust him this much now! I guess one good thing about him being olderis we have a stronger relationship than before- I would have NEVER tried this 2 years ago!
And we where both really happy that we didnt have to deal with a harness or leash any more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thats cool, he must have had fun. I wouldn't trust Zeus to stay in the yard, he's a crazy nut and loves to run around everywhere when he gets out. And Barnaby just gets scared outside.

Make sure your always watching him when he's out though. Once when I had Zeus out on his harness a hawk came down after him. It was really scarey but luckily Zeus ran and I had him on a leash so I could grab him quickly. I had a cat go after my old bunny Nibbles once too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Dont worry, I am! ^^ I was never more than 3 feet away from him, and I think Im more paranoid about hawks and cats than he is! Any time hes out, Im always careful to make sure there arent any animals nearby that could hurt him.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Hello Earthling

That sound cool.
I had my bunny deck trained, so when I was out side swimming or something he would just sit on the deck under my mums chair or in a box and then sometime he would walk about and decided whether or not he should go down the stairs.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Betta Bomb

i just have them on harnesses-well,Acacia would take off or freeze but Akina likes to be trained :# i afrais to go under the deck b/c of scary spiders so ill strain the leash and tell her to "come" and then she gets her pat on the head..weirdo bunns!! i love them and love that they dont frak out in the arness though,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
can't think of one, help

I'd be too scared to let bunny outdoors without a tether. He moves faster than I do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

The last time Flash was outdoors was the night I met him. He was an outdoor stray. I had a hard time catching him, but I suspect the method I used that night would work again - I lured him with a carrot! That's how I still get him to go in his cage when play time's over.

If I ever do get around to buying harness for him and taking him outside, I'll probably take a pocketful of baby carrots with me, just to make sure he behaves. He REALLY hates being picked up, though, so that will make it even tougher. I'll probably wait a year or more before I even try it, just to give him time to learn to trust me more and get used to being picked up once in a while.

--Fromper