Yesterdays News litter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yesterdays News litter

Good Afternoon,

I've heard good and bad things about Yesterday's News Litter.
It's very absorbent but can cause sores guess because it is rough???
The bunny I have has long hair so I have to watch what I get because litter sticks to his fur.

I've always used Yesterday's News Litter - but any suggestions on replacing it?

Thanks bunches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

www.rabbitstop.com has scatterless litter pans. I have never used them on my rabbits, but have heard good things about them. It is a pan with a vinyl coated wire insert, so the rabbit sits on top and everything drops to the bottom of the pan, keeping the rabbit off of the waste. It is kind of like a wire bottom cage, but only on a small scale, so your rabbit's feet should be just fine on the vinyl protected wire.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM
is a little "special"

Im trying to find a good litter too... Smudge is most likely allergic to the litter I was using (compressed wood pellets) so now I need to find a good paper based one for a decent price! I got a small bag of this Soft Sorbant stuff just to try out, and its really messy but Smudge loves digging in it LOL! I want to try YN, but I want ot see what other people think of it first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I use Yesterday's News with a layer of hay on top. I use to have one of those litter boxes moonchild mentioned too and that worked well, but I replaced it with a larger box. So now the bunnies stand on the hay and not the YN pellets. I've had good luck with it and have been using it for awhile with no problems.

Barnaby has long hair too, so I can't use stuff like Carefresh because it sticks to his butt fur.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

I use woody pet (compressed wood pellets)
its the only thing I have found that does not stick to my angoras fur. I have not had an issue with it so far, and it i do, i will just have to use newspaper. no shavings in this house!
carefresh is just as bad about sticking to the fur too (with my angoras anyway)

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

THANKS everyone for your replies.
I'm using YN with a layer of spreddED newspaper. I hope the newspaper is helps to prevent any sores.

ratty_ratkins I sent you a PM asking about your angoras.
My friend found out how about carefresh- how bad it sticks to
fur.

Your right Jess- digging can be a problem

Thanks moonchild for the link

Dragonrain "fur butt"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Betta Bomb

Acacia is standard fur fur and she has NO issues with YN, Akina had recurring sore hocks and I wasd told by her doctor that even a layer of hay can irritate. Akina has short leg hair as per her breed so I had to change the litter to just plain newspaper (I get them free at work ) which really helps since Im so poor lately. The only downside to this is that I have to replace the layer of newspaper twice a day.....yuk.
For a long haired bun bun, Im really not sure. Experiment with a few to see what works with Mrs. Furbutt.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for sharing your experience Purple-Hops,
I've got a Mr. Furbutt
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh LOL sorry!! All that fur I thought was a girly.. *blush*
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Im trying to find a good litter too... Smudge is most likely allergic to the litter I was using (compressed wood pellets) so now I need to find a good paper based one for a decent price! I got a small bag of this Soft Sorbant stuff just to try out, and its really messy but Smudge loves digging in it LOL! I want to try YN, but I want ot see what other people think of it first.
I like this stuff. Its softer than Yesterdays News but not as fluffy as Carefresh (so it isn't as messy). http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3058629
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i don't think the yesterdays news would cause sores unless it was a hairless animal they aren't that scratchy

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Betta Bomb

Short haired is affected as well apparently -_-
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I use Equine Fresh - compressed pine pellets. I always open the bag and let it air out prior to each use - just in case the pine is a little bit too much; but it's generally odorless after the entire bag has been opened for a while.

If you have a paper shredder, you can mix it shredded paper along with the wood pellets - that should reduce the strain. That's what I do when I have the wood pellets in my guinea pig's cage, I mix in some shredded paper.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Some rabbits are more prone to sore hocks no matter what their litter/cage bottom is like. I've heard that rex rabbits are sometimes more prone to them, and that long haired rabbits can get them if the hair on the bottom of their feet mats. Rabbits who are overweight or who's nails aren't kept short enough can get them as well. It has to do with where they put the pressure on their foot. If long nails or mats or what they are standing on (or anything else) causes them to distribute their weight wrong sore hocks can develop. It doesn't always have to do with how rough what they are standing on is. I have seen rabbits with cages lined with fleece and carefresh develop sore hocks.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the information Michelle!