yet another question! not sure if something is wrong - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yet another question! not sure if something is wrong

in the last day or two i noticed benji didn't pee in the litter box which she always does now so that was really odd. And then was on the bed and did a little dribble of pee and i am not sure if it was little because i picked her up to put in the litterbox or if there might be a UTI? Benji's pee is also slightly darker colored. Has anyone ever ad a bunny with a urinary track infection?

Benji's appetite has been normal, and behaviour seems normal, maybe been a tiny bit more lethargic but not much if any. But has been pooping and peeing slightly less, so i gave some pineapple today. I might just be over worrying! But rather be safe

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 AM
It's all for them

Rabbits can get UTIs. Since you mention the color of the urine is off, I recommend you take her to the vet. Is she spayed yet? Keep us posted.

Declawing: please read this first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Betta Bomb

Yea, somebody, Benji is spayed ^^

The darker color urine usually indicates a bit of carrots coloring or sludge which gives pee a bit of a white gritty texture. Carrots have that pigment so if anything you are feeding her has that pigment that could be causing. If there is sludge in her urine then you need to take her off any sugars (pineapples and papaya and raisins included) and watch her to see if it gets better.

Within a day or two if you do not see a change then I would see a vet. Bunnies hide their symptoms best they can so you might not even notice anything other than peeing in places that she shouldnt and the appearnace of her urine.

Even Acacia pees on my bed if she's up there too long bc without a litter box she gets antsy and wants down. Needless to say, when I found her pee there she hasn't been up since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Dark as in dark orange? Or brown?

As for bladder sludge, I don't think that's it since it would appear cloudy or even white...not dark. Bladder sludge is caused by an excess of calcium (which is what I think Purple-Hops meant to write) so you'd want to stop feeding (or cut back on) calcium-rich foods like kale and spinach.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Betta Bomb

Thanks for clarifying Sasami!! I must have been excited or hyped on coffee or something but I mentioned color pigments and white sludge together without differentiating!! lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sorry it took me so long to get back! Uni was just getting started and i read all your replies but didnt have time to rspond. I took the pineapple out of the diet, even tho it wasnt much, and the pee went back to a normal color, and for some reason stopped not using the litterbox, so everything seems back to normal! I just got a little worried there! But thanks for the help, i now now what the sludge means and to cut back on calcium if needed!