You guys -- I'm heartbroken :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

You guys -- I'm heartbroken :(

As I was driving home today, I saw something strange -- a rabbit crossing the road in a hurry. Of course, it wouldn't have been so strange except that it was clearly a domestic rabbit.

I immediately stopped my car, and pretty much exhausted all efforts for over an hour trying to catch the poor thing, but to no avail. He'd let me get pretty close, but then the slightest movement sent him scurrying off. Finally, sweaty, tired, and defeated, I came home, sat down at my kitchen table, and cried.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive, but all I can think about is how sad it is for that little bun to be running around in unfamiliar territory, scared half to death, with no real shelter from predators. To make matters worse, it's started to rain now, too.

I'm trying to resist the urge to squeeze Linus. I'm pretty sure he would hate it, but I'm just so grateful that my bunny is safe and sound.

This just reminds me why I choose to have an indoor rabbit -- I imagine the bun I saw escaped from its outdoor hutch somehow. I couldn't imagine going to bed and then waking up to find my little bun gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

more likely someone let it go. It is sad, hopefully someone traps it and takes it to a shelter

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

You did what you could to rescue the bunny, so try not to feel badly about the situation. You might try seeing if you can locate it and attempt to catch it again. Don't feel bad if you can't. Maybe someone else will see it and be able to rescue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

keep an eye out in your local online classified ads under lost and found. Someone else might have found him and that will put ur mind at rest. OR..someone may be looking for him and at least u can give them some information. U did good..don't be sad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

I use to live in MA too. There are a few rabbit rescues in the area that might be able to help try to catch him, or in the very least may be able to lend you a trap so that you can try to get him.

In the very least I would contact them and let them know where you saw the bunny. Most likely someone didn't want it anymore and "set it free". It's sad, but it's a pretty common occurrence

http://3bunnies.org/rescues.htm.
That shelter operates in MA as well as a few other states nearby, they may be able to help. If not, they also have a list of other shelters/rescues in the state. I would start by contacting the ones that are solely rabbit rescues, and if they can't help then move on to the other ones.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Betta Bomb

Aw, it's sad. Unfortunately I'd place my bets that someone let him loose. Once bunnies get to 'that' age and their hormones kick in, they're less "cute" then.... It's not the bunny's fault. Poor thing. I wold maybe call a rescue and see if they can go out. If not, maybe you could bring a carrier and some carrots/apples/raisins (something to make him go inside) and trap him.

And you can only do what you can do. Bless, try not to feel bad about it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM
is a little "special"

Awww. A number of years ago I saw a domestic bun running toose too, but they are just about impossible to catch.

You did a lot more than most people would, so try not to feel too bad about it.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I put up an ad on craigslist about how I found a domestic bunny, but couldn't catch it, and included the area it was in and a description of the rabbit itself in hopes someone might be looking for him or may have better means of catching him.

I also sent a quick e-mail over to the local animal shelter to alert them of it.

I hope at the very least he finds some shelter -- it's raining pretty hard today -- but ultimately, I really, really hope someone can save him. I've been thinking about it all day
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, hope for him. My thoughts are with him. Someone abandoned their lop by the high school here about 2 weeks ago or so. Rescue got a hold of him now he's been neutered and hoping for a new home! I really wish the same for the little guy you found.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

that makes my stomach hurt I cannot imagine letting benji go into the wild ever or any animal for that matter! You did all you could and should be proud you tried! Hopefully this little bun will have a rescue story like purplehops did!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Playful Pup

really sorry to hear. Hopefully it will find its way.

All Pets Forum -
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

A little update -- a few days after chasing him around, I was driving home from work and saw him again just sitting in someone's yard nearby, so I called animal control (who was actually ON DUTY this time!), and as far as I know, I believe they were able to get him. I haven't seen him around in the area since, so I'm really, really hoping that's the case.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Betta Bomb

That's wonderful! I hope he's safe and sound in someone's house eating good food! Well done. You should be proud of yourself for getting him this far