Zeus has a lump on his chin - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Unhappy Zeus has a lump on his chin

I was checking over both the bunnies and found a lump on Zeus's chin. It really suprised me since he's been acting perfectly normal lately, but I have a feeling it's his teeth acting up again and could be an abscess from a molar infection. I did have his teeth checked recently and they were okay, but I know these things can come up fast.

He's got an apt with the vet on saturday afternoon. That was the soonest I could get him in since the rabbit doctor doesn't work everyday.

I'm really worried about him and haven't been getting much sleep at all the past 2 nights. I'm happy that he's still eating and drinking okay, but I keep reading stories online about what a pain these types of infections can be to treat (if that's really what it is).

It couldn't really have happened at a worse time either. We'll have to put aside plans to look at an apartment to get Zeus to his apt. this weekend. If he needs surgery and costs go over the amount I have saved for pet emergencies, than we'll have to dip into our moving fund which means we won't be able to move as soon as we had hoped. It's not a huge deal though, Zeus is more important anyways.

I hope that whatever the lump is I caught it early enough and it's not too bad to treat. Has anyone else's bunny ever had anything like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Betta Bomb

oh im so sorry-babe..Akina has one too and is seeing the doc tomorrow..i hope Zeus is ok,you said it may be his teeth acting up again?? he had problems before? i pray for you both
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well he hasen't had any really serous problems with his teeth before, but he had to have them trimmed once because they wern't wearing down properly. I guess that's a common problem with dwarfs, it has something to do with the way their faces are shaped so their teeth don't always line up perfectly. Since he had them trimmed though, he's been fine. I had my vet in MA check his teeth again before I came to NJ, but she said they seemed to be wearing properly and didn't need to be trimmed again. He didn't show any more signs of having problems with them again until now, if this really is because of his teeth.

I know Akina has a lump too. I thought it was weird when I read your post about hers, that I found one on Zeus around the same time as you found Akina's. Good luck to her at the vets tomorrow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
can't think of one, help

Good luck to both bunnies
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Today I can tell more that Zeus isn't feeling well. He's still eating, but not as much as normal. Barnaby is being such a sweetie, as always. He's been constantly by Zeus's side for the past two days and I even saw him pick up a piece of bananna and give it to Zeus. I guess he can tell that his buddy isn't feeling well too. I'm really anxous to get Zeus into the vet and wish that they could have seen him sooner, but I think it's worth the wait for him to see the rabbit vet tomorrow instead of just a dog/cat vet.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

Aww I'm so sorry!! I hope Zeus is ok. And I think its cute how Barnaby is being a sweetie to Zeus. Sometimes I think about getting a little partner for Ruby... but its hard enough taking care of her :] She's a handful!

Keep me updated on Zeus. (please)

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Betta Bomb

Yeah-ive had lots of trouble and NO luck in bonding my girls! good luck at the vet! it melted my heart to hear Barnaby giving his bud a treat,i love when animals do that with each other-update in my thread on Akina.
GET WELL ZEUS!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Playful Pup

Hope Zeus gets better :[
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

We got back from the vet a couple of hours ago. I kind of have mixed feelings about the results.

First of all the vet felt the lump, and said that it felt very soft, which according to her isn't normal for an absess. She said because of the thickness of bunny pus, that absesses usually feel harder.

She looked in his mouth at his teeth, and said they looked good, which I was kind of suprised about. He didn't get an Xray to look at the tooth roots though, because they sedate them to do that and the bunny expert who would have to do that is out until next friday because she's having surgery.

Then they got a small sample of the liquid that was inside the lump to look at under the microscope. However the results from that didn't really help much, she said something like that the cells in the sample were undefined and she couldn't use them to help determine what his lump is.

So right now she said that it could either be an absess, or a cyst. She sent us home with some baytril (antibiodic) that I have to give him twice a day. If that doesn't help soon, he has to go in for surgery to have the lump removed. But the vet who would have to do the surgery isn't going to be in until friday, so I don't think it would be before then. But then she was also saying that she's going to contact another vet thats closer to where we live, to see if they could remove the lump instead.

So I dunno... I was glad to hear that his teeth looked okay but suprised, because I was almost certain that he was having issues with them. But thats the second vet who's told me that his teeth look good. Next time I talk to them I'm going to ask if they can have tooth root damage without any signs of it on the exposed part of the tooth. But if it's really not his teeth, I'd be glad because that means he wouldn't have to get any pulled.

Now I just have to force meds into my little 2lb monster for a few days to see if that helps reduce the lump any. If not, it's off to the vet again for xrays and surgery.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Poor Zeus! Don't worry once he gets used to the taste of the baytil he should love it. Mine were sceptical about it and HATED the fact that I forced it on them - but they wouldn't just try it no matter how much I pleaded. But after a couple of doses they looked forward to their bunny baytril. Did they send you home with a packet of special food? I cannot remember the name of it but it's made by oxbow. If he really isn't eating well it's good to give it to him. It smells like anise and you can mix it with water or baby food.
How close are you to Philadelphia? Radnor Vet is outside of Philly in a town called Wayne. They are fantastic! If you go ask for Dr Donato. He did a wonderful job with Tabby. I know if it wasn't for everyone at Radnor Vet we would not have been blessed with Tabby as long as we were.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Betta Bomb

good to hear its not his teeth!! Whew, but about them not knowing what it was....not good,isnt it funny you and me are in the EXACT same boat?? both our bunnies had lumps on the face,both couldnt see regular bunny docs,both got Baytril.....whats next?? keep spirits high and mighty
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

The waiting game is awful! I hope the Baytril helps and that a visit to one of the other vets mentioned (either your vet's referral or Kathy Dip's) will be fruitful. Give Zeus lots of kisses!

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the vet recommendation Kathydip! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to a diffrent vet in the same place I took him over the weekend. She's on the House Rabbit Society board and has a lot of experience with bunnies. If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with Tabby? I'm just curious.

The special food you mentioned is Oxbow Critical Care, and yes I do have some for him. Zeus hates me right now though, it's so sad. He won't take his meds willingly so I have to keep catching him and wraping him up in a towel to give it to him.

I'm hoping the first vet was right and it's really not his teeth. I'm going to request an Xray though to make sure his tooth roots arn't involved at all.

I just called the vet to ask her how long I should wait to see if the meds help him at all. I know the bunny vet will be in friday but I don't know if that would be enough time to determine wheter or not the antibiodics are helping. I'm waiting for her to call me back now to see since she was in with a patient.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Betta Bomb

poor thing!! i hope hes ok!! lil devil and meds *giggle* it TASTES LIKE FRUIT SILLY!!! he cant read that can he?? fruit tastes good lil man!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't mind at all. When I found Tabby hopping across the street on a cold January day she was already very sick. She had a head tilt and snuffles. I am not really sure what caused the head tilt. It could have been an inner ear infection, a stroke, E.cuniculi or another reason. The vet really was not sure. She was terribly thin and generally just in bad shape. I expect that she was an older bunny. I struggled to keep her weight up. I used the Oxbow Critical Care (thank you!) and mixed it with fruit baby food to get her to eat. With her the vet basically said feed her (just about) anything she will eat.
Try wrapping Zeus up and then going really slowly with the baytril - he really should get the taste for it. It is a bunny preferred flavor right? Is it pink?
I was lucky - Tabby was so easy. She was started out on baytril that was meat flavored (that is all the SPCA had) and was made from crushing the pills and putting it in some kind of vitamin solution. She actually liked it! I think she liked the bunny baytril much better though.
The other buns are much luckier - they benefit from all the things I learned from Tabby.
I really hope Zeus starts to get the taste of the baytril and will come to you for his meds!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny