Zeus needs to be fixed... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Zeus needs to be fixed...

I never got Zeus fixed when he was younger because his testicles never desended. His vet said that that happens sometimes - and it would be best to wait because the surgery is more complicated then a normal neughter and he was a bit underweight and stuff when I got him.

Now that he's a year old, I think it's time to get it done. I'm soo nervous about it but I know it's for the best. I want to get him a friend eventually, I think he'd love another bun to play with since I'm not around all the time - but there's no way I'm getting another one before I get him fixed. And of course they're are medical reasons that I want to get it done.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they're are any openings anytime soon - I just want to get this over with. I don't know what I'll do if something goes wrong - I keep reading about how rabbits do bad in surgery sometimes and he's so tiny! Not skinny tiny, but just so small.

Has anyone ever had a bunny with that problem? I guess the vet was saying that they would have to go in through the abdomen to get them so he would have a shaved tummy and stiches and all that. I'm worried he'll pull out his stiches or something when I bring him home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Don't mind me posting again! Probably no one's rabbit had that problem, but if anyone has had their rabbit have surgery before can you maybe help me out?

Zeus is going to have an incision on his tummy - Is there anything I have to do to the incision, like clean it or anything? Should I put neosporin or anything like that on it, or just leave it alone? Also, what do I do if he tries to chew at the wound or something?

And for pain, someone told me that you can give bunnies baby motrin. Does anyone have any info on if that is safe for them or not? I'm going to get pain meds from the vet but probably only enough for the first day or two, and I want to know if there is anything I can do for him if he's still alittle painful after that?

About how long should I expect recovery to take?

Of course I'm going to ask the vet all this stuff too - I just want opinions from other bunny owners who have experienced this before. If I should go out and get anything like neosporin or anything like that, I want to go out and get it before the surgery so I have it when he comes home.

I still haven't called the vet yet...I'm still a little nervous to go through with all this. Bleh...poor Zeus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh look at me replying to my own thread AGAIN!

I called the vet yesterday afternoon and talked to her about all my worries. She answered all my questions and then some, I feel a lot more comfortable taking him in how. However, they didn't have an apt. until July 19 - and I could stay here to take him then, but for my mental sanity I think I'm going to leave for Chris' house way before the 19th. She said she would call me if anyone canceled for next week and then I could bring him in, but if not then I'm going to make him an apt. for the end of august when I'll be coming back to MA to start school again. So it looks like Zeus gets to enjoy one last summer with his manberries - though I don't think my slippers much enjoy his advances

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have two bunnies and had them neutered/spayed. There was no complications, I think if your vet is experienced with bunnies it should be fine. I have one of the best vet I could ask for (IMO) and everything went perfectly fine. When I got Mr. Shakes neutered he was under 1 yr old, I think he was like 4-6 months old. Anyways that is my experience

Just make sure your vet has experience with neutering bunnies!!!

Good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah she does - my vet is awesome! She actually fixes all the buns at a local shelter and works for a low cost spay/neughter clinic for rabbits a couple of days a weeks. I wish now that she could get him in sooner so I can just get it over with, but I guess I'll have to wait.

It's good to neughter buns when they're younger then Zeus is, usually they recomend to do it as soon as the testicles drop or around 6 months. But when I got Zeus he was too young to be away from his mother and pretty skinny and sickly for awhile. Plus his testicles never dropped, so my vet recommended I wait.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain
She actually fixes all the buns at a local shelter and works for a low cost spay/neughter clinic for rabbits a couple of days a weeks.

Then I wouldn't worry about it!!

Good luck Zeus...keep us updated
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so sorry I haven't been checking in lately.
Don't worry. I had Oliver and Ophelia done at 4-5 months. Oliver didn't have the problem Zeus does. And they are both bigger buns. But Penelope is a dwarf and a girl so they went through her tummy too. She did fine although she needed some pain meds after. I left without them and had to go back the next day. They gave me metacam for her and said to use it for 10 days. Once I got her to try it she LOVED it. There were no external stitches to worry about. Once she was on her pain meds she was back to herself.
I think the only reason she needed them is because she is much older than the others. We are not even sure how old she is.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
local shelter