33 gallon tank! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

33 gallon tank!

So I have an empty 33 gallon tank and I don't know what to put in it.I am thinking some sort of reptile,amphibian or invert...but I am not sure what.

Suggestions?

I have been wanting an Emperor scorpion or some tarantula species for awhile now,but am thinking the 33g is kinda big for them.I have done alot of research on these critters though for years.

But I am also maybe interested in some sort of lizard (aside from leos).

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Hello Earthling

You can stand it on its end, to make it tall and get some sort of gecko like: crested geckos, day geckos, satanic (sp) geckos etc...

You could also house a bearded dragon though you would have to make an upgrade when it gets to big.

A corn snake or a ball python would also be good.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello Earthling

If you had the time and money you could do dart frogs. Other less expensive frogs are pac man's and pixies.

You could do tokays their cute.

There is a ton of different animals you could keep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There are a ton of options so it's hard to narrow it down just based on tank size. How much money are you looking to invest? (for example, it really didn't cost me much to set up my crested gecko tank but it was a ton of money to get my dart frog terrarium up and running, even though it was smaller!)

Are you looking for something active/colorful as a display animal (darts, tree frogs, tokay geckos, etc.)? Or something you can photograph/handle (crested geckos, leopard geckos, corn snakes, etc.)? Do you want something that can live it's whole life in the tank or would it be okay to upgrade in the future (like for a bearded dragon or something)? Are you looking for a single pet or did you want a group of animals (most reptiles/amphibians shouldn't be housed in groups but a few can be, like many frog species)?

Of course, my personal favorite lizard is the crested gecko. You'd just have to flip the tank to make it tall . Cresteds are very easy to care for and also quite adorable!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...well I love cresties and beardies.
I could turn the tank on it's side,but what would I get to cover the open side?? Some sort of mesh or screen I assume...?

I always wanted a beardie,but I don't really have the room to upgrade to a larger tank right now...so it is better I stick with something that don't need an upgrade later on.I don't wanna try frogs,as I never really had luck with ACFs or DCFs...so I am afraid to try something else like a pacman or pixie frog...even though I love them!

As for groups or solitary animals,it doesn't matter.Maybe I will stick with a corn snake.I always wanted one and did research years ago,but will need to update my info...so if anyone has some good caresheets,I would appreciate it!

Thanks for the suggestions!

* Lisa *

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Hello Earthling

What I did with my tanks for crested geckos is just use a normal screen and use either clips or tap to make sure its on tight, or for my larger enclosure my dad and I build a door in under 2 hours (my dad is not too handy). You can see pictures if you look in the lizard forum, or just click here

I would personally go with crested gecko or gargoyle geckos if you want something with legs, you could house 2- 3 crested geckos in a 33 gallon. A corns snake or a ball python would be my first choice though

Last edited by canadiancritter; 08-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Hmmm...well when I have more time,I will check out your enclosures.I am just checking in while I am waiting to go out with a friend....

I do love cresties though and always wanted one.
They can live alone right? Do they need friends?
Because the only place to get them here is a store and they cost $200.I will probably spend that much on getting the enclosure put together.

Once I have more time to think clearly though I shall come back!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Hello Earthling

Yes they can live alone and having a 33 gallon all to his or herself, it'll love you forever Look around you may be able to find one cheaper, though it may need to be shipped to you.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Hello Earthling

Oh and if you do get a crested gecko try and get a male, in less you want to deal with egg laying (they will lay infertial eggs) and checking calcium.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What I did with my tank is use one of the sliding screens they sell. That way it stays closed even when the tank is on it's side--it's easy to open and get access to the tank, too .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No reptile needs friends. All are pretty solitary in nature i don't know any that wants a companion

You could look into anoles, geckos (house geckos are really really cute)

check out www.herpcenter.com care sheets and info on any type of reptile that would work.

tokay geckos are kind of mean and they scream at night

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

So I was into the pet store today and they now sell screen lids...yay! I wasn't sure where to get them,as this store didn't sell them before.They have them as small as 51/2 gallons and go up to 40 or 50 gallons.So I will be getting one soon and I think I am going with a corn snake.

But may set up my 10 or 15 gallon and get a screen for that and also get my T and my scorpion.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Great! Can wait to see