Photos! African Dwarf Frog Sick????? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

African Dwarf Frog Sick?????

Hey everybody
I was recently at a friends house and I noticed that he had 2 ADF in his basement (which is pretty cold and dark) and he had only about an inch and a half of water, as well as no shelter or planting in a 20 gallon tank. He said that he feed them and changed the water at least semi regularly, and that his sister had left them there when she moved out. I felt so bad that the little guys had no water or plants to swim in and asked if he would just give them to me. He agreed no problem.

So I got them home and gave the tank a military scrub down, (was very careful not to leave any cleaning material in the tank) And I gave them medium sized smooth river rock for bedding as well as some plants to hide in. While cleaning I quickly discovered that if the water had ever been changed it had not been in some time and I'm not sure if the rock bedding had EVER been changed. The condition of the tank was absolutely horrific!!!!! (I had to scrape contents of the tank out with a puddy knife)

Although my friend has no idea how old the ADF's are he said they had to be at least 6-8 years old. One of the frogs took very well to the new tank, he will swim around and regularly eat, and is an overall healthy looking frog. The second frog however is quite smaller than the other (and I'm almost positive that it is the female of the 2) It has been 2 days since the tank remodel and ever since the second frog spends the MAJORITY of the time laying in the bottom corner of the tank behind a plant. It moves so rarely that I have wondered if it was still living a couple times and had to poke it to get it to move at all.
(although the frog will often FREAK OUT!!! when I turn a light on in the morning, but will immediately return to the corner)

So basically I'm just wondering if this VERY lethargic behavior is common for ADF's. The frog seemed to swim significantly more when it was in the filthy water. I'm horrified that the frogs have lived to even see a good home I would hate for it not to make it now.

Oh I might mention that right before I changed the water the frogs where shedding A TON!! it was all over the tank - I had to change the water 2 out of the 3 days that I had them before the tank remodel. ??normal??

This website will not allow me to post pictures because I am to new of a member. Please copy the first half of URL (up until the smiley) and then the second half (after the smiley)
and paste them into your browser to view pictures.
-so sorry for the inconvenience -

-Seemingly Healthy Frog -

1. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0245.jpg

2. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0245.jpg

- ?sick? frog - ( this frogs under arms and under thighs are a very slight red color - unseen in pics )

1. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0241.jpg

2. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0250.jpg

3. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0252.jpg

4. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0251.jpg

- The New Tank Setup (is this okay) -

1. photobucket.com/albums/f197/sycobait/IMAG0248.jpg

I hope the pictures help. Any opinions and suggestions will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They're actually normally pretty sedentary animals, so he might be fine. If he's eating, I would just give him time to settle in.

Since it's a new tank, I would also recommend bringing in a water sample to a petstore to have tested. I assume you used a water conditioner when setting up the aquarium? You seem pretty knowledgeable, but I figured I'd make sure.

The set-up looks great, as long as the frogs can't swallow those rocks. If they seem like they could be swallowed, switch to sand or bare-bottom.

Good luck with them .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

They look like african clawed frogs to me, not dwarf frogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
They look like african clawed frogs to me, not dwarf frogs.
Yup, they're definitely clawed frogs. I hadn't even noticed he called them ADFs!

But yes, those are African Clawed Frogs .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! Water Conditioning?

Thanks a ton everybody This community is by far the most friendly and responsive I have found. I posted the same thing on about 6 websites and this one is the only one that I got any responses from - let alone several.

And thanks a ton for clearing it up for me weather they were dwarf for clawed frogs! As their legs were fatter than any of the dwarf frogs photos I found I was worried if they had red leg or somthing.

Somebody mentioned getting the water tested at a pet store and using conditioner. To be honest the only things I know about the frogs is what I got from google - and it didn't mention much about pre-conditioning the water. I keep their water clean, give them fresh water every 3 days or so and clean the tank out at least once every 2 weeks. But I have NEVER conditioned the water. Any recomendations on a brand or what exactly I should buy??

and my frogs seem to be much more settled in now - Even eating out of my hand - bloodworms really helped them get moving again

Thanks All!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Newborn Pup

I need help with my fish/frog tank. I have 4 Glofish, which are really Zebra Danios, and 4 African Dwarf Frogs. I have a filter, heater, and a bubble wand. Ever since I put in the Glofish, filter, and bubble wand the frogs have not moved much. I also haven't seen them come up for water in a while. Anyways the ADFs have been hanging out around the bubble wand and near the opening on the filter tube. Are my ADF going to be alright?

I also feed them pellets. I got the frogs from the Brookestone Frog-O-Sphere package and then decided to get 2 more and upgrade the tank. The tank is a Marineland Eclipse System Six and I just raised the water level more than half of what it was before. Are my frogs just getting used to their new enviroment? Please help.

Tags
adf, african dwarf frog, frogs, sick frog