a bit OT but: is this a fire hazard? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

a bit OT but: is this a fire hazard?

There isn't a lid on one of my aquariums (turtles) & I was wanting to get one of those screen ones that are made for larger tanks.I was also considering getting those for a couple of my smaller ones.
Can I do that & then put the lighting fixtures on top of that or is it a fire hazard? On one of my smaller aquariums I have frogs so what I was wanting to do was get a lid,then put the light fixture back on top.It's a live plant habitat that they share with fish.So I really want to keep my fixture that came with it,just as an added security have a secure lid under it.
I'll need to know this for when I get other reptiles also.
& I'm asking now instead of doing that & having a fire & possible injuries on my hands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 12:29 PM

The screen that goes on top is metal right? Im pretty sure that the ones you get a petstores are made so that you can put lights on top.

Of course if they are plastic, it won't work. It will melt or catch fire.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Yup the screen i'm talking about is made by... I believe... either Fluker or Esu & it's a metal screen lid.So it's safe to use with a light fixture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes.I sometimes use a screen over my gecko tank and use the light and never had problems...however lately,I just have no screen/lid on my gecko tank (they don't climb).I also know of other people who have screens over theirs and lights on it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Herp Nerd

Any light fixture that gives off significant heat is a potential fire hazard and needs to be set up carefully and securely to avoid it being knocked over onto the floor, or dropped into the tank. Trust me, I have some burn marks in my carpet from when my iguana decided that he wanted to climb on his light fixture and yanked it down from the frame I had it on. I make a point to not leave any lighting or heat pads on when I'm not around.

I've actually heard of some people being denied home owner's insurance because they informed the insurance company of their reptile pets, and the insurance company deemed the fire hazard too risky.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Any light fixture that gives off significant heat is a potential fire hazard and needs to be set up carefully and securely to avoid it being knocked over onto the floor, or dropped into the tank. Trust me, I have some burn marks in my carpet from when my iguana decided that he wanted to climb on his light fixture and yanked it down from the frame I had it on. I make a point to not leave any lighting or heat pads on when I'm not around.

I've actually heard of some people being denied home owner's insurance because they informed the insurance company of their reptile pets, and the insurance company deemed the fire hazard too risky.
Thank you for the heads up