Calling all reptile owners - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wanted: New Title

Angry Calling all reptile owners

The reptile forum of Paw-Talk has been really slow for quite some time now.

If any of you have reptiles, we need pics, stories etc.

I'm getting lonely here in this cuddly, furry world. I can relate to the soft furry critters, but we reptile need each other just as much.

So post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:35 PM
I Heart My Job

i have a japanese fire newt, but the pic i have is really bad.

sparkle->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so post a story about him. What is his name? How do you take care of him? What does his cage look like? Just some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:32 PM
I Heart My Job

he's pretty small...about 2.5-3 inches in cluding tail. (never actually measured, that's just an eyeball guess.) his name is Flamey. he lives in a medium-sized aquarium that is half dry land and half pond. its got some very nice river stones on the bottom. his tummy is all red speckled. its adorable, but that never shows up in pics. (not that i don't try.) i clean his cage about once to twice a week, depending on if he is molting or not. he mostly just sits around in his cage, but take him out and he gets all squirmy and wanting to run around. its great.

sparkle->
shadow->

I've been frosted!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

He sounds really cute!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

What a cutey. How exactly do you clean his cage with all of the dirt and stuff? My hubby and I have dry land lizards and want to possibly venture into the area of more tropical lizards. With dry land lizards you are able to just sift their fecal matter like in a cat box. We use calcisand as a subtrate.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:32 AM
I Heart My Job

there really isn't "dirt" per se in the cage. just rocks. lots of littel river rocks. so i dump the water and move the rocks. wash the cage and slosh the rocks several times in water to make sure they get all clean.

sparkle->
shadow->

I've been frosted!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Dragon, you are a good owner. I'm good about cleaning up my lizards' messes, but I don't think I would go for a complete cage clean up once to twice a week. Their cages don't get that dirty which is a bonus. We usually give them new sand once maybe twice a year. Otherwise we just rearrange the rocks and branches every once in a while.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 04:25 PM
I Heart My Job

well...hes small and the rocks get...well...they can get pretty nasty if you don't do that since so many of them are under water and i don't have a filter or anything. you can get them, but the water level is low enough that it doesn't really work. i figure, better that than have to clean it four times a week when he's molting b/c stuf gets to stuck in the rocks and just keeps coming up when he digs.

sparkle->
shadow->

I've been frosted!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean. I have a read eared slider that I rescued from the Puget Sound (salt water). I was keeping him in a 20 gal aquarium, but only changing every other day. It was too much for me. I finally ended up taking him to the local pet store. He is doing well there.

Tags
eared slider, local pet store, pet store