green tree frog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

green tree frog

So we decided to not get mice which isnt fun but after thinking about it im ok with the idea, but hubby is trying to so hard to convince me for a green tree frog, which is ok with me, provided the new apartments allow them, but iv never owned frogs before, does anyone on here a green tree frog and if so any ideas what they need, iv been reading about them but i need someone with experience

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I had one for a couple of years, any questions in particular?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i was reading about tanks earlier for one, and some say it needs a long 15 gallon and others say it needs a tall tank instead of wide?? not sure which one it is also i read some eat crickets and others blood worms? any info really would be helpful

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, they should have a tall enclosure since they climb and don't spend much time at the bottom . Simply turning a regular aquarium on its side can work. No matter which enclosure you choose, though, make sure you can keep the inside humid.

Are you sure it said bloodworms? I'm not sure how you'd even feed those, they're aquatic. Maybe in a water dish? Anyways, I fed my frog the following: crickets (staple), silkworms, phoenix worms, fruit flies (when I had extra from keeping my dart frog), and the occasional earth worm. I think that's it. Make sure the crickets are gut-loaded and dusted (let me know if you need more info, I can't remember if you've kept reptiles or amphibians before).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Yes, they should have a tall enclosure since they climb and don't spend much time at the bottom . Simply turning a regular aquarium on its side can work. No matter which enclosure you choose, though, make sure you can keep the inside humid.

Are you sure it said bloodworms? I'm not sure how you'd even feed those, they're aquatic. Maybe in a water dish? Anyways, I fed my frog the following: crickets (staple), silkworms, phoenix worms, fruit flies (when I had extra from keeping my dart frog), and the occasional earth worm. I think that's it. Make sure the crickets are gut-loaded and dusted (let me know if you need more info, I can't remember if you've kept reptiles or amphibians before).
iv had bearded dragons before thats about it that i can remember, yah im sure it had said bloodworms because i didnt know what they where and thought maybe it was a typo error

By Anonymous
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
is a little "special"

Hmm, that's wierd about the bloodworms. My ACF eats those... Maybe they were thinking of the wrong kind of frog? LOL

Froggies are so cute! You need to post pics if/when you get one!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Hmm, that's wierd about the bloodworms. My ACF eats those... Maybe they were thinking of the wrong kind of frog? LOL

Froggies are so cute! You need to post pics if/when you get one!
i will definetly post pics if we get one ^_^

By Anonymous
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

would this be ok for a green tree frog ? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Accessories

By Anonymous
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
would this be ok for a green tree frog ? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3B+Accessories
That's too small but something similar (but like twice the size) would be fine.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Herp Nerd

I think that depends on what species you are referring to. "Green tree frog" is a pretty generic common name that I have seen applied to several, very different frogs. That enclosure would be fine if it is a Hyla cinerea, but you'd probably want to go bigger if you're talking about Litoria caerulea.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

this is the type of frog i mean

By Anonymous
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM
is a little "special"

Oh, that's a red eyed tree frog! I thought you were talking about the cute little green frogs that are wild here.
That's so awesome, I've alwasy thought it would be neat to have one!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
green tree frog