leopard gecko color Q? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

leopard gecko color Q?

Ok i have bred leopard geckos for years and never had problems with color types and all. Well i got this Blizzard female for my albino male, and well that is going to make Blazing blizzard babies right?? Well her first two eggs hatched and they were NO where near that. One was a normal color and other is albino. I thought if you put a blizzard with a albino they make blazing blizzards am i wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Blazing blizzard is a double recessive morph, so to get a blazing blizzard I believe the baby has to get two copies of the recessive blizzard gene, as well as two copies of the albino gene.

Since only the mother is a blizzard, for example, the babies will get the blizzard gene from the mother, but a normal gene from the father, making them het. for blizzard but not blizzard.

It sounds like your blizzard is het. for albino, since you got the one albino baby already. If you have a blizzard het. albino and an albino, about 50% of the babies should be albino het. blizzard, and 50% would be normal het. for albino and het. for blizzard.

What is your albino male, a tremper?

I've never dealt with blazing blizzards before, but I think to breed them, you would need a blizzard het for albino (which I think you already have), and an albino het for blizzard. With that combination, you would get 25% normals het for both albino and blizzard, 25% blizzards het for albino, 25% albino het for blizzard, and 25% blazing blizzards.

You could also breed two blazing blizzards and get 100% blazing blizzards. Or to work with what you have, breeding your blizzard het for albino to a blazing blizzard would give you a 50% change of getting blazing blizzards each time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Again I've never dealt with blazing blizzards before, but this is how I understand it.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 05-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

dang... yes i got a temper albino male. I was told by others that all i needed was a temper albino and a blizzard to make them . dang...

Im probably just going to get a male blazing bliz and breed it to my bliz female next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Well unless I'm misunderstanding something, a blazing blizzard is a gecko that is both albino and a blizzard. Both of those are recessive traits, so they need two copies of both the albino gene and the blizzard gene to have both and be blazing blizzard.

Good luck! Hopefully next year you can get blazing blizzards.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

thanks, ya im going to just go get a male blazing bliz for my female bliz, i'll have some blazing and some bliz