Meet Geico - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Meet Geico

During the hurricane ordeal I found this little guy. At first I was going to just house him until his broken leg healed. Then I was going to return him to the wild. Then I caught him and started watching him for over a week., And I thinmk his back has been broken. . He gets stuck in the upside down position alot. His body twist and bends in half. And when he walks he drags both hind feet and tail using only his front feet. I hope he heals but I tink he may be paralyzed. He doesn;t seem to feel thing on his back end. Anyways, I havent socialized him to humans incase he starts getting better. If he doesnt show improvement I will keep him. Anyways therre was his story and herre is his pics. This is him inside of a small mouse food bowl.

Ive done alot of reasearch about them already but if anyone has any tips Id love too hear them. I gave him crickets but they hurt him. (took some skin off) so I am only feeding him under supervision now. I tried to catch bugs and whatnot. So if anyone knows of any harmless easy to catch/buy bugs please let me know. They do have to be alive for him to eat them. I was told that I can give them meal worms but I wanted to ask you guys about feeding meal wroms to geckos first. (this is where the experts live) lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello Earthling

Awww...he's cute. I would watch him and if he can't use his leg them keep him,otherwise if he seems to be in pain take him to a vet to have him PTS.

I would take him off the Care Fresh (I think that's whats in the pictures) and put him on something like dirt or eco-earth/coco fiber.And add a hide.

Feeding him:Try using tweezers and hold the cricket in front of him or giving him small crickets,also provide food for the crickets in the tank.
Meal worms should be fine to feed him,assuming he's big enough.

Have you identified him?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I had him on care fresh for the first few days until the petstores reopened from the hurricane but thanks for the heads up. I got some kind of dirt bedding for now I was thinking about the retile sand would that be ok? I will try to hold the crickets infront of him. I know he's eating at least a little bit because I found some poop. I just want it to be easier for him. I did call my vet so he can take a look at him. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He's quite happy compared to the first day. I don't think he can feel his legs at al though. As far as identify him did You mean what kind of species? I was told he was a house gecko but I am not sure. We have alot of them outside of our house. I just went by what a few people told me. Also I was told I can give them leafy greens and fruits. What kinds are safe for him? I don't want too give him juwst any leafy greens or to many or too often. My sister had geckos when we were little but I don;t rememberr what all we fed them. Thank for all the help

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Hello Earthling

Yeah,he looks like a common house gecko. I GOOGLED 'common house gecko' and he does resemble them.

I'll try to find some info on him.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Hello Earthling

Ok he is almost definitely a Mediterranean House Gecko

Since you have him, does he match any of these close up?
http://www.californiaherps.com/lizar....turcicus.html

And care sheet:
http://www.reptileallsorts.com/housegecko.htm

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Yeah he looks like some of the pictures in that link. He does change color a little bit here and there. He's changing color more frequently then what he did when I first too him in. Thanks for the information site url. It helped alot. I have another question though when I get a Calcium/Vitamin dusting Supplement, do I drop the insects in the dust and then feed them to the gecko or do I put it in his water? Anyone have any reccomendations on a good supplement? Thanks again for allo the help.

1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello Earthling

You want to dust the crickets or whatever your feeding in the calcium.

I use Rep-Cal with my frog,which is a pretty good supplement

Tags
reptiles