My reptile family :D - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Newborn Pup

how do you pre kill this animals.. that would be so difficult for me at my pet store the feeder mice are already frozen.. if i had to kill them, i would quit my job.

Brianna Beach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunzGirl View Post
any way they dont really smell unless you never clean there tank out. I clean mine maybe 2 times a month and thats it. I use ecko earth as the bedding. I know what you mean by crickets smelling soooo bad they do. And thats why i stopped trying to breed them :\ ... My roaches dont really smell and the tank is right in my bed room.
Oh thats good to know.IF I ever got the opportunity to have them.
Crickets smell really bad and I guess I just assumed roaches would too.I have seen hissing roaches up close,and I never smelled anything...yet in my mind I still imagined they stunk.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbeach View Post
how do you pre kill this animals.. that would be so difficult for me at my pet store the feeder mice are already frozen.. if i had to kill them, i would quit my job.

Its hard on me to yes but i really dont mean to sound like a bad person here but i just take the mice and wack them on something hard like a brick. I try to do it hard as i can i of corse wrap the mouse in a cloth so i dont see him.

Other way is to hold the mouse on the head and back end, and pull. It brakes the spine. I know this sounds really bad. Most of the time i try to do alot of mice at one time and just freeze most of them for latter so i dont got to do it so offten. I do the chicks kind of the same way. I try to do it fast so they dont feel nothing. I hope they dont feel any thing....

Some people i know told me they put the mice right in the freezer and i was like heh i can't do that to a live mouse....

Quote:
Oh thats good to know.IF I ever got the opportunity to have them.
Crickets smell really bad and I guess I just assumed roaches would too.I have seen hissing roaches up close,and I never smelled anything...yet in my mind I still imagined they stunk.
yep they dont stink just as long as you keep it clean . I think thats why i love them cause of that. I love them alot. They dont even bite you Unlike crickets that some times bite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 AM
is a little "special"

Thanks for the info on roaches! I was thinking of just getting 3 or 4 breeding adults from a reptile store to make sure Wink liked them before I bought more... Do you ship your roaches? I might be interested in buying a few if you do!
Yeah, crickets are nasty little things... I refuse to keep them any more! Wink is sick of them anyway, LOL.

And Ive heard that breaking their necks is the most humane way to kill them. If/when I get a snake, I will have to buy pre-killed though. I couldnt do that!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Hello Earthling

There is debate over what the most humane way to kill a feeder rodents.

C2O seems to be the preferred method for mass euthanasia (whole litters etc...) while a good whack on a hard surface or severing the spinal cord is preferred for a few mice. Of course C2O is almost fool proof while a whack or severing the spinal cord must be done correctly and quickly to minimise distress to the animal.

post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Rep Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks for the info on roaches! I was thinking of just getting 3 or 4 breeding adults from a reptile store to make sure Wink liked them before I bought more... Do you ship your roaches? I might be interested in buying a few if you do!
Yeah, crickets are nasty little things... I refuse to keep them any more! Wink is sick of them anyway, LOL.

And Ive heard that breaking their necks is the most humane way to kill them. If/when I get a snake, I will have to buy pre-killed though. I couldnt do that!

Ya i can ship them just as long as the weather is good out there. For roaches i can ship in the spring time and fall. Summer and Winter seem to be to hard on them in the box. If you want i can see how much shipping would be to you and let you know. Just PM me a zipcode.

Quote:
C2O seems to be the preferred method for mass euthanasia (whole litters etc...) while a good whack on a hard surface or severing the spinal cord is preferred for a few mice. Of course C2O is almost fool proof while a whack or severing the spinal cord must be done correctly and quickly to minimise distress to the animal.
Ya i heard of C20, but if the mice breath that in would that hurt the snake if he ate that mouse? Not sure mmm if not i will start doing that lol.

LOVE Inuyasha and my Boy friend 4 LIFE
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunzGirl View Post
Ya i can ship them just as long as the weather is good out there. For roaches i can ship in the spring time and fall. Summer and Winter seem to be to hard on them in the box. If you want i can see how much shipping would be to you and let you know. Just PM me a zipcode.

Ya i heard of C20, but if the mice breath that in would that hurt the snake if he ate that mouse? Not sure mmm if not i will start doing that lol.
C2O wouldn't hurt the snake since it dissapates in the air. Thousands of snakes are fed mice or rats which are killed by C2O and non have been affected by it.

post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have never been bitten by a cricket and only learned they could bite not too long ago.Since I never been bitten,I never knew they did.I know superworms bite though...I was never bitten,but my ex was.When I had my geckos my ex would sometimes feed them and he would pick up the superworms and they would bite him and even latch on to him.

I really want a snake in the future.I have been looking for one,but still have not found one (I don't want to buy a snake from a store).When I do I will be breeding my own feeders,because pre-killed feeders here are really expensive in the stores.Since I am a rat/mouse owner,I will want the best for my feeders too and will want them to be killed the most humane way possible.I have researched it and read debates on reptile forums and to me it seems the CO2 method is the best.Because whacking them,if not done right...you will have a mouse or rat in extreme pain and suffering and I could not deal with that!

* Lisa *

post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM
is a little "special"

Thanks Dragunz! Ill let you know if I can buy some... Im still trying to convince my mom to let me breed them LOL.

Ive heard that the mice/rats completely freak out when they are put in the CO2thing though. I guess I wouldnt know any of this for sure, since I dont have any snakes, but its just what Ive heard.
Is is possible to put them under an anethetic before you kill them? Ive always thought that would be the kindest way to kill them- put them under, and then kill & freeze them or just feed it to the snake like that.
Frozen mice & rats are pretty cheap here. There are a few specialty reptile stores by my house, and the live food I buy for Wink is always very healthy.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks Dragunz! Ill let you know if I can buy some... Im still trying to convince my mom to let me breed them LOL.

Ive heard that the mice/rats completely freak out when they are put in the CO2thing though. I guess I wouldnt know any of this for sure, since I dont have any snakes, but its just what Ive heard.
Is is possible to put them under an anethetic before you kill them? Ive always thought that would be the kindest way to kill them- put them under, and then kill & freeze them or just feed it to the snake like that.
Frozen mice & rats are pretty cheap here. There are a few specialty reptile stores by my house, and the live food I buy for Wink is always very healthy.

I would assume that there is indeed some struggle once the C2O hits them but they die within seconds. They would also struggle to escape from the C2O chamber.

If done properly there shouldn't be to much struggle. As for putting them under before there wouldn't be much use as they already die pretty quickly with just the C2O and injecting them or gassing them with anesthetic would just prolong their death. As well as it taking to much time and money... which feeder breeders don't really want.

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I have never been bitten by a cricket and only learned they could bite not too long ago.Since I never been bitten,I never knew they did.I know superworms bite though...I was never bitten,but my ex was.When I had my geckos my ex would sometimes feed them and he would pick up the superworms and they would bite him and even latch on to him.

I really want a snake in the future.I have been looking for one,but still have not found one (I don't want to buy a snake from a store).When I do I will be breeding my own feeders,because pre-killed feeders here are really expensive in the stores.Since I am a rat/mouse owner,I will want the best for my feeders too and will want them to be killed the most humane way possible.I have researched it and read debates on reptile forums and to me it seems the CO2 method is the best.Because whacking them,if not done right...you will have a mouse or rat in extreme pain and suffering and I could not deal with that!

Are you planning on selling the extras? I would imagine you would have lots of extra feeders.

Once I get my snake collection growing and I move out I do think I will breed my own feeders but I may have to have someone come an kill them for me as I would be afraid to do it wrong even though C2O is almost fool proof.

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM
is a little "special"

I wouldnt have the heart to kill them- I get attached to everything LOL. Except for crickets and superworms... They deserve to die.
Forgot to ask... How much are you selling your hissers for?

post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Jess - I saw a video of rabbits being killed by CO2 and they did struggle but only for a second and then they were gone.That is more humane then bashing their heads in,in case they don't die right away...which I have heard horror stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Are you planning on selling the extras? I would imagine you would have lots of extra feeders.

Once I get my snake collection growing and I move out I do think I will breed my own feeders but I may have to have someone come an kill them for me as I would be afraid to do it wrong even though C2O is almost fool proof.
Actually I have friends with reptiles who told me if I ever start breeding feeders,they would buy some off me.So I will only supply my friends probably.I also won't mass produce though,since I only want one or two snakes.

I would actually prefer that...I asked a friend if she could kill them for me,since she was used to doing it and she was fine with it.But she moved away.So unless I can get one of my other snake/reptile owning friends to do it,I will probably have to do it myself.

But I really much prefer to breed my own feeders,because the breeders would be treated and loved just as my own pets and that way I would know they were healthy.I don't trust pet stores.Also pet stores are expensive! A pinky MOUSE is $2.99! That is ridiculous!

* Lisa *

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Jess - I saw a video of rabbits being killed by CO2 and they did struggle but only for a second and then they were gone.That is more humane then bashing their heads in,in case they don't die right away...which I have heard horror stories!

Actually I have friends with reptiles who told me if I ever start breeding feeders,they would buy some off me.So I will only supply my friends probably.I also won't mass produce though,since I only want one or two snakes.

I would actually prefer that...I asked a friend if she could kill them for me,since she was used to doing it and she was fine with it.But she moved away.So unless I can get one of my other snake/reptile owning friends to do it,I will probably have to do it myself.

But I really much prefer to breed my own feeders,because the breeders would be treated and loved just as my own pets and that way I would know they were healthy.I don't trust pet stores.Also pet stores are expensive! A pinky MOUSE is $2.99! That is ridiculous!

: That is almost as much as a medium rat here...

post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,exactly...
When I had my female leo,after she would lay eggs she lost weight and the breeder told me a pinky mouse was okay sometimes to help her get her protein/nutrients back and gain weight and pinkies were $2.99! Thats ridiculous.I am not exactly sure the prices on their other feeders,but I am sure it too high.So thats one of the reasons I want to breed my own feeders.

* Lisa *