My Tree Frogs are Pigs! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Question My Tree Frogs are Pigs!

Can you overfeed your frogs? I will put a bunch of crickets in the tank and the next thing I know, POOF! They are gone and my frogs look like they are pregnant and ready to burst. This is new and I have never seen anything like it. I am going to cut down on the amount of crickets I am putting in their tank. My frogs need to go on a diet. They used to eat leisurely and now they are just "pigging" out! "oink!" I can't believe how HUGE they have gotten in the last month. Why are they doing this all of a sudden? They are always supplied with food and have never gone without, so why the sudden, 'oinking out'? Anyone know? My other frogs (Red Bellied Toads) don't seem to be doing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm, I'm not sure. Has there been a temperature change in the tank they're in, or anything like that?

The only kind of frog I've ever owned is my ACF, and she (or maybe he, since he/she has started making noises lately) is a huge pig! My brothers frogs are to (also Clawed frogs), they'll eat untill their little bellies buldge out so far! I don't think they know when to stop eating. If there is food around, they'll eat it! I just limit my frogs food, and give him/her (lol) enough but be careful not to overfeed - don't want him getting too fat, since they don't make tredmills for froggers!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Tredmills for frogs! You made me giggle! Well, like I said, nothing has really changed. I have a 20 gallon tank, with 10 frogs in it. I have always gotten 70 small crickets at each feeding because I like to keep food roaming around for them. I want them to always be fed. I spoil all of my animals. I also feed my crickets! But WOW, I know I have to change their feeding habits now, because they look like big rolly pollies right now. It is almost comical - sp? One of the little guys is just sitting there with his little arms hanging there from his big 'ol belly like "oh my gosh, I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" To tell you the truth, I can't believe they ate them all either! Like I said, I don't know what has gotten into them. Lately, they have all found their voices too. It is really cute. And boy are they loud! I absolutely love it. We live in a two story house and I can hear them upstairs at night. Absolute heaven to me to hear them at night! But I think I need to put them on a diet before they "croak" from over-eating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm not really a frog "person" as far as I don't know much about them. But would it have anything to do with it being winter? Like I know the ones outside (at my house) habernait (Thats not spelled correctly) and my snake also does. He eats a TON more in Nov. and Dec. and sleeps through Jan., and then my Iguana eats so much more in Nov. and Dec. as well. Although she never habernaits (again spelling is wrong). Well just wanted to through in the possiablity (sp?) lol like I said I know nothing about them.

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Never thought about that.

Tags
clawed frog, clawed frogs