Poll: Bearded or Leopard - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would have to say start out with a Leo, she is a beginner reptile owner and they will be much easier for her to handle. Other reptiles that might be easy are iguanas who can be handles quite a bit. Beardeds can be a bit harder to handle and take a lot more time and money so I would suggest she starts small and works her way up otherwise she may have more then she can handle.

Life's not about how to survive the storm, It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Momma to: 2 human children Audree (2) and Jacob (7 mo.)
3 Doggies: Angel (13), Cricket (1), and Diesel (4mo.)
1 Kitty: Mazey (Age unknown)
2 ferrets - Mocha and Marshall
1 bunny - Ice

Working to make a change, one paw at a time!
Volunteer - Skinny Little Buddy's Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Iguanas need proper diet requirements too tho and she should REALLY look into that,if she wanted an iguana.Sadly iguanas are one of the most neglected reptiles because people do not properly research them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

and also get to be 6 foot long, live 20 years and have lived up to 29, need lots of care, they can get grumpy when its mating season, if you dont handle them often they dont like you, they can bite to the bone when full grown, they can sometimes be scared to death by birds, they are excape artists, they like to play tricks on you. They do have lots of personality, seam like they could start talking at any molment. (i think mine would have a potty mouth) they require fresh food daily so you cant go on vacation and just have extra food and water and they will be fine... its common for females to become gravid and need surgery... they often eat things in your house and need surgery...

I do not suggest an iguana to anyone that does not want a huge responsibility... I love my iguana and did TONS of research, and wanted one for years I am up to the challenge of one but many arent... they are active in the morning most and go to bed when the sun goes down.. mine doesnt stay up past 7:30

IF she is thinking of getting an iguana she should read the ultimate owners manual by james w hatfield III its a huge 600 page book that talks about everything.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good info Kendalle!

My mom's friend actually had an iguana some years ago,he liked climbing the curtains! One day he swallowed a rock or something and died!

* Lisa *

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

mine lounges at the blinds, he normally ends up between two and swings and looks out the window at the birds hes a silly little guy.

they have really really bad gag reflex once they try and eat something they have to eat it. so you have to be careful, and most vets say they like things that are shiny no one knows why.. most of that is metal or glass neither is good for them... they also want anything green. mine always thinks mountian dew bottles is food...

[/CENTER]

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

We had a Leopard gecko and had a hard time getting it to eat and it was really difficult to handle. That was years ago. Hubby just got a crested gecko and man they are adorable... lol. We hand feed him with a spoon as we just got him and want to make sure he is eating well lol. He does like to jump but as long as you sit with them they are easy to handle.

~Jenn

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy
We had a Leopard gecko and had a hard time getting it to eat and it was really difficult to handle. That was years ago. Hubby just got a crested gecko and man they are adorable... lol. We hand feed him with a spoon as we just got him and want to make sure he is eating well lol. He does like to jump but as long as you sit with them they are easy to handle.

~Jenn
Your leo must of never been handled alot,as if they get handled alot as youngsters,they are really handable as adults.Both of my leos are very handable and my male likes to sit on my head.

As for being hard to eat,well some leos can become picky eaters...especially if always fed butterworms,waxworms and silkworms.

I would LOVE to see pics of your crestie! I love them and eventually want one.

* Lisa *

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, crested gecko, leopard gecko