Poll: Bearded or Leopard - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Poll: Bearded or Leopard

I've had both and loved them. Which would be better for my girlfriend. She wants one but can't decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Perhaps you could be a little more specific? What kind of animal does she want? How much money, time, and room can she offer?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

she just wants a lizard either a bearded dragon or a leoprad gecko, she has the money for either of them. I've told her the leopard gecko because mine took less care that my bearded dragon. just looking for some other opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 AM

Sasami, we are in the reptile section, so I believe Blueram is asking about Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos.

Blueram, you need to consider how much room your girlfriend has for a pet. Bearded Dragons need a cage with room to roam and climb.

I have never had leopard geckos, and I've heard that they are nocturnal. If so, they may not be very sociable.

My fave lizard, has been my collards. I would get a pair. They were very active and entertaining.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 AM

I think the best for your girlfriend may be a leopard gecko, being us girls like to hold things, ( ) And leopard geckos can get very hand tame. They also have a great personality. While bearded may be more reptile esque, Leopard geckos are so much cooler. Its really up to your girlfriend, leopard geckos are easy and dont take much room, they are a great starter pet, maybe start with a leopard and move up to a bearded later?
Though leopard geckos are pretty addicting, that must be why I have 3.

You said that you have had some in the past, just make sure to do your own lil physical on the lil guy, vent is clear, stomach isnt rock hard, fat tail... ect. Good luck.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

how handlable are the collards?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I don't remember how long it took for my leopard gecko to be pretty tame, and my bearded dragon is to young to start calming down but i would assume that the leopard takes less time to be mellow. I also think that the leopard gecko would be a better pet for her but she also fell in love with a really nice adult female bearded dragon at Scales and Tails.
Thanks for the advice.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

If she is new to reptiles, I say go with the leo.Leopards are hardy and good for beginners.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 PM

i love the personality of bearded dragons but that is just me personally
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Proud New Mommy

I love my bearded dragon and my leo both! The leo is very easy to take care of and is very low maintenance. My beardie is a big higher maintenance but very fun to bring out of the cage and take places. Either would suite me!!

Ask her what type of food she is willing to prepare on a daily basis. Beardies require a bit more in their diet than leos do.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Title Thief Victim

I never had a bearded..so im going with leopard geckos, I have 2 and i absolutly adore them. They dont need to big of an area..mine are in a 55 and a 40 gallon, but they dont need it to be that big...i just wanted them to have more room.

But leo's are really good, easy to care for, easy maitnence. ect.

Carissasaurus Rex

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

how much time does she want to put into taiming it and not being liked? sence she fell for an already taime beardie... i have an iguana and its hard when he doesnt like me still and its been a month or two... I think but am not sure that leos taime quicker than beardies... also what life span is she looking for? can she handle a pet that lives as long as a beardie? a leo? does she want to be able to take out her pet and let it run around and hang out?

I have herd that waterdragons are really neat pets too... and i love my iguana but hes also going to live like 20 years and takes alot of work and effert but is a veggitarian and has alot of personality

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Proud New Mommy

How long do beardies live? I have read anything from 3 years to 15+ years.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

maybe she should make a pro con list

Like leo
pro- tiny, cute, less care
con- less activity, blah blah blah... i dont know either critter well

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle
maybe she should make a pro con list

Like leo
pro- tiny, cute, less care
con- less activity, blah blah blah... i dont know either critter well
I think making a pro/con list should be done for anyone considering a new pet!

Leos don't have as much personality as a beardie or an iguana.So if she wants something with MORE personality,maybe she should go with a beardie.However they do need more care and so as a beginner pet,a leo would be better in my opinion!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bearded dragon, bearded dragons, crested gecko, leopard gecko