snake eating lunch *Warning...Graphic Pic - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I just have to say... I can't believe people are whining about not having "graphic" in the title. He's a snake... did you think he would be enjoying a nice Ceasar salad??
Hey! Sometimes people just like to be whiney.

Not all snakes eat meat, lol. It could have been a yummy salad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Herp Nerd

-All- snakes are carnivores, but not all eat rodents. There is an amazingly wide array of snakes that specialize in eating various things, from eggs to lizards, to fish, to slugs. There are even species that specializes in feeding on snails, and some eat only termite and ant larvae. You will never find a snake stalking a bowl of baby spinach unless there is something else in it...

That being said, I've often found that posting pictures of snakes feeding nothing more than a gratuitous grasp for attention. Something for blatant shock factor that all too often ends up pushing the stigma that snake owners are irresponsible. Especially on a forum where the snake owners are in the drastic minority. I'm all for using it an educational way, and explaining little things like how you buy your rodents pre-frozen, and so forth, but no one posts a picture of their dog with its face in a food bowl to get people to look, because it just doesn't have the same shock value. Of course, not saying this is the case here, but there are more tactful ways of covering a topic which could be disturbing to most of the people who will see the thread.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM

I could deal with an ant salad! There are evil little creatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I've often found that posting pictures of snakes feeding nothing more than a gratuitous grasp for attention. Something for blatant shock factor that all too often ends up pushing the stigma that snake owners are irresponsible........there are more tactful ways of covering a topic which could be disturbing to most of the people who will see the thread.
I dont think she meant any harm. She is relativly new here and i think she just wanted to share some pics. She didnt realize some of us would be to see it. I dont think she was trying to shock anyone..she's just a snake lover is all i think and she likes to share pics.

No one even mentioned that she might be irrespsonsable or anything of the sort. Sorry to see at other forums you have found that but that didnt happen here on this thread. Snake owners are in the minority on this forum but no one mentioned irresponsability at all.
A few did mention tactfully that next time maybe add the word graphic to the title. Its been taken care of.

Lve Never Fails

post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM

The pictures didn't really bother me.
I'm a snake lover myself.
I have pet rodents.
But I also really love snakes & "different" creatures.
I feed bugs to some of my pets,so I just don't see a frozen/thawed mouse as being offensive.I'm not a fan of live feeding at all.But frozen/thawed snake's gotta eat!

Either way,what a GORGEOUS snake you have there.
I would love to see more pics in the very near future
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Herp Nerd

Like I said, "not saying that is the case here", just that there are many herp forums out there where this kind of photo is almost expected, but when you come into a place where snake owners are the minority a little decorum should be expected. I wasn't intending to be rude, just that there is a very strong prejudice against snakes and snake owners, and people are quick to judge and jump to conclusions. Snake owners need to tread a fine line, and use every opportunity to educate.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
Like I said, "not saying that is the case here", just that there are many herp forums out there where this kind of photo is almost expected, but when you come into a place where snake owners are the minority a little decorum should be expected. I wasn't intending to be rude, just that there is a very strong prejudice against snakes and snake owners, and people are quick to judge and jump to conclusions. Snake owners need to tread a fine line, and use every opportunity to educate.
I agree,Ravnos. I didn't think you were being rude at all.
I was expecting to see a mouse or rat being eaten in the thread,I just wanted to look at the cute snake
I love rodents& snakes the same =)
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

and like i said...im sure she meant no harm. And now she and others know that pics like that might need a warning. She shouldnt feel bad about posting that pic. Snakes have to eat, that is all too true.

I did not say you were being rude. Sorry if you felt i implied that by my response to your post.

If there is prejudice against snake owners or snakes that is sad. I dont think thats the case here on this forum though.

I agree education at every opportunity possible is a good thing.

Lve Never Fails

post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 PM

I want to see more pics of this snake though.It's a gorgeous color =)
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

haha..you took the words right outa my mouth!

Lve Never Fails

post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 PM

!! I read your mind

....mindfreak....
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Great pics...they did not offend me at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont think anyone said they were actually offended.
Just surprised.

Hey Teresa...we need to see more Jake the Snake pics. How bout one of you holding him

Lve Never Fails

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM

I said if it was a guinea pig, I would be offended. Hehe, Im sensitive when it comes to piggies.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnos
-All- snakes are carnivores, but not all eat rodents. There is an amazingly wide array of snakes that specialize in eating.
wow glad you got that all off your chest whew if feel better and you.

i never thought that people would be so offended
I think all animals are cool to watch. eating, sleeping, hunting & mating etc.
I love all animals and bugs too. So every aspect of what they are and do intrigues me

Last edited by mebri123; 02-09-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
ball python, corn snake, food bowl, guinea pig, pet mice, pet owner