Stupid person at petco... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Stupid person at petco...

I was in buying crickets today and as I'm standing there with my critter keeper full of crickets, this woman walks up to me and asks what I have that eats crickets. So I find out that shes got a huge iguana, a boa, a hamster and "one of those things like an iguana but <pinching claw gesture>???" Is it a lizard? I ask. "Yeah, like that thing in the budweiser commercial..." UGH!! She has a chameleon and doesn't even know enough about it to know what it is!!! So she asks what I feed mine so I showed her the crickets and mealworms and stuff and she asks, what is cheaper?
So I'm trying to talk to her and maybe throw in some info and I ask her how much her cham eats....4 crickets a day she says! Ugh, I don't know if I'm more sad or more mad...
She said she got it for $25 at a swap meet ...sigh....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 12:39 AM

Sad and mad!

We need stricter laws on importing, I believe.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 10:38 AM

some people truly are stupid, and it doesn't help when the people who work at the store are uninformed either. I seem to recall an incuident when I was standing in the hamster aisle looking at treats and I saw a woman looking at wire cages. (she had the box with the animal already in her cart.) THe one she was looking at was obviously too small for any of the hamsters they sold in the store, and she looked confused, so I offered to give her some advice. I simply told her that I though solid cages were better. Well, come to find out that what she was buying was a mouse (1 mouse) for her young daughter. The bars on the cage she was looking at were wide enough for me to get a finger through. There was no way that she was going to keep a mouse in it, and I told her so. "Oh really?" she said. "Well this is what the man over there told me to get." I pointed out the space and all and she thanked me and bought something plastic. SOme people just don't get it i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Herp Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizgirl
We need stricter laws on importing, I believe.
Really, I'm all for better regulating of importation, but most species commonly found in pet stores are captive born now (including veiled and jackson's chameleons), so in the end all it would do is end up jacking up the prices so pet stores would just make more money from people doing the exact same things. And if you believe that raising the price on these animals would deter some of the ignorants? Think again, it might get a few, but not as many as you would think. I've seen people walk out of local pet stores carrying a box with a 500+ dollar animals in it that they knew nothing about. I got a call just the other day about a guy who brought a 250 dollar anaconda back to the pet store because it bit him. Well duh, anacondas aren't known for being especially friendly - now what would have happened if it had taken until the anaconda got to 15+ feet long before he realized that?

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Princess in Waiting

"Stupid person at Petco" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?" Very few people in there know their butts from a hole in the ground - so you better make sure you so some stupdying before buying!!

Eat well and prosper!! (from someone who is sitting here totall oujt of bird pellets right now!!)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I dont have any reptiles or anything, I was just reading this thread and you guys were talking about how it was sad that the chameleon only got to eat 4 crickets a day. How many do they usually eat? ( I just wondered)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm no expert since I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but mine eats 10-20 a day!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Proud New Mommy

Yes! I have a small lizard that used to eat around at LEAST 15 a day! That is rediculous. And when people try to get hired there- they're app. doesn't ask anything about animals. Im sorry but if I was doing a pet store, I would offer something for the employess to research on and/or I would have a good bit of pet related info for them to answer on the application!!

Just like that "lady" at PetSmart. And these two stores are SOO popular.. and most people working there know nothing about animals... makes me sooo mad too.

I've helped a couple people answer questions that I've everheard because the employees can't just admit they don't know, they'd rather give their (WRONG) answer to look smart. grr.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 08:41 AM

I probably have to much to say on the subject of stupid people at pet stores, so I'll hold back a LITTLE! I think that before someone is going to work in a petstore they should have to take classes on the animals that they are going to be over (like in that animal department). I also think that before someone can buy an animal they should take classes or at least pass a common sense test.
I go to the petsmart here simlpy because sometimes I don't need enough to order off the internet and to be honest I've become really good friends wuth the dog trainer over at our 'Petsmart' and he actually does know about animals, of course he is also going to college to become an exotic pet vet. But the other people in there know me enough from going in there so much that they actually stop me and ask me questions. For instance the other day when I was in there that had just gotten a 'Eyelash Gecko' (crested Gecko) in on the truck and they didn't even know how to take care of the poor thing, they had HEAT bulbs on him So I had to set them straight and get the poor little thing back to where he needed to be temperature wise.
In Fact my fiance hates to take me in the pet store out in our mall, It's horrible all those parrots that have been there for god only knows how long . And the ferrets that are supposed to be white but instead they are yellow from poor diet. It ****** me off . So his answer is why don't you open up your own pet store? And I told him they would never get sold because I 'd be too protective.
I think that's all for now!!
AngelaT
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 PM

Thats just really sad.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My gosh that really sucks. I hate it for the animals that people like that own. I am so happy that I have my animals and that I know they are spoiled.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappledoxie
My gosh that really sucks. I hate it for the animals that people like that own. I am so happy that I have my animals and that I know they are spoiled.

Our specialty manager now is a vet. tech. So for now...things are going pretty good. We have a few highschool kids that work over there, something I am very against. For the most part... everyone i work with knows a bit about animals... there is just one girl.. the disabled girl nobody can fire....
She claims to know things that she doesn't know...that's dangerous. She is the type who makes it up if she doesn't know.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 08:15 PM

i hate going into stores and asking questions and the person working never knows. its like that in almost any kind of store now days. even car stores like autozone and such.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 04:11 PM

I hate to hear about stuff like this. I've always believed that if you're going to sell something you should know as much about it as possible...

That's why when I get a job at PetsMart I'm going to be prepared. I'm going to learn all I can about the animals in the store and I even plan on printing off caresheets to give to people. I figure that even though I can't really stop big-name stores like PetsMart or Petco, I can try to make them a little better from the inside. I suppose, sometimes, the best way to beat the system is to be part of it.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:08 PM

petco is pretty bad...we went in there once, and their reptiles were near death. Very sad.
PetsMart has care sheets on every animal they sell, no need to print anything out for people. We even have caresheets/books on animals we don't sell, and for the most part, the staff is pretty well educated.

Tags
animal care, bearded dragon, bigger tank, captive bred, chinese water dragon, crested gecko, dust bath, dust baths, guinea pig, hermit crab, hermit crabs, leopard gecko, local pet store, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, rabbit pellets, regular vet, sugar glider, sugar gliders, water bowl, wire cage, wire cages