What DOES use a heat rock? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

What DOES use a heat rock?

All the care sheets I find only about lizards and snakes I'm interested in say never to use a heat rock.. so I'm wondering is there anything that does? Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

it says not to use a heat rock because a lot of the times reptiles burn themselves on them unfortunatley .

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
it says not to use a heat rock because a lot of the times reptiles burn themselves on them unfortunatley .
ya i kno but does anything even use them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
ya i kno but does anything even use them?
i dont think its good for anything but i could be wrong.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
is a little "special"

No, there isn't any reptile I know of that they are safe or useful for. The biggest problem with them is since the reptile lays directly on them, burns are a major risk if they short out. Plus, they can't provide a proper heat gradient. The heat from them stays on the rock, and doesn't spread out in any other parts of the cage, so the poor reptile ends up clinging to the heat rock most of the time since it has no where else to go for warmth. They are one of the stupidest things that the reptile industry ever came up with.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Herp Nerd

They make great paperweights. Or cut the cord and use it as a cage decoration. Not much else.

It's the same reason why cedar shavings are still sold as small animal bedding. Or that dry crud in a jar is sold as tortoise food. The industry will try to sell anything they think they can make money on, and many people simply don't know any better.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

A very long time ago I bought one with the intention of burying it in the sand to provide some night time heat, but I was worried about it and never ended up using it.

Please have pets spayed or neutered and wearing an ID tag.
Adoption is the only option

Tags
heat, lizard, rock, snake