The 'Why Pay More' Reptile Supply Thread - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Reptile & Amphibian Discussion All reptilian and amphibian types welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes, mud turtles are primarily carnivorous...but, that just means that turtle pellets aren't ideal for them either, because the pellets were designed for sliders, which eat a lot of plant matter. Koi fish are also omnivorous, and eat a lot of plants.

Best option would be to feed him calcium-dusted insects, fish (select fish--silversides, tilapia, or guppies, but not goldfish or rosy reds), and chopped worms. All of the carnivore bits from a slider diet, without the greens. They do need some plant matter, but they're picky. Spirulina algae wafers are reportedly accepted by some species of mud turtles.

I would suggest that the closest you can come to a correct diet would be following the recommendations for other species of mud turtles, such as this one:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Car...triped_mud.htm

Turtles eat lots of things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y (sorry, that always makes me laugh, it's so surprising).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
Yes, mud turtles are primarily carnivorous...but, that just means that turtle pellets aren't ideal for them either, because the pellets were designed for sliders, which eat a lot of plant matter. Koi fish are also omnivorous, and eat a lot of plants.

Best option would be to feed him calcium-dusted insects, fish (select fish--silversides, tilapia, or guppies, but not goldfish or rosy reds), and chopped worms. All of the carnivore bits from a slider diet, without the greens. They do need some plant matter, but they're picky. Spirulina algae wafers are reportedly accepted by some species of mud turtles.

I would suggest that the closest you can come to a correct diet would be following the recommendations for other species of mud turtles, such as this one:
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Car...triped_mud.htm

Turtles eat lots of things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8rU-bLYM7Y (sorry, that always makes me laugh, it's so surprising).
The pellets I tend to feed (except RES ones/koi ones on occasion just in case he DOES need vegetable matter) are shrimp pellets, my koi pellet recommendation was for owners of RES and similar species. I know that koi and RES are omnivores and that mud turtles are mostly carnivores . I just mean that I don't know the staples they eat in the "wild". There are occasional random websites with diets but none specific to the species and none with citations. I'd guess worms and insect larvae for the most part but I don't know. Definitely no fish, mud turtles are awful at catching them...much worse than RES .

I'm considering cutting out the carnivore pellets entirely but not until I can find some good mud turtle diet research (I'll look into finding papers about similar species like you suggested ) and have done a nutritional analysis (which means I'll have to update my spreadsheet to be more reptile-friendly, ha, as my snakes and garg are nowhere near as complicated and reptile food sources were never added).

The caresheet suggested that that species of mud turtle eats plenty of vegetable matter in the wild, which is interesting. That's part of what makes me think that their nutritional needs are not identical. I can occasionally "trick" my turtle into eating anacharis and duck weed but he often spits it back out . I don't think he considers plants to be a food source at all (and he definitely doesn't eat algae like the 3-striped apparently does). The only way to get him to eat spirulina is by feeding turtle food sticks that have it as an ingredient .

His favorite foods are earthworms and freshwater mysis shrimp so perhaps those could be staples.

I wish I could go observe them in the wild. I tend to joke that it's a mystery they survive at all with their intelligence (or lack of) and failure to capture food (even drowning crickets) .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I understand mud turtles are very poor swimmers, too--I think their natural habitat is marshland. They probably eat a lot of insects, molluscs, and some carrion. (Dead fish don't dodge). Little guy would probably love the canned snails they sell for reptile food. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=6458
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
I understand mud turtles are very poor swimmers, too--I think their natural habitat is marshland. They probably eat a lot of insects, molluscs, and some carrion. (Dead fish don't dodge). Little guy would probably love the canned snails they sell for reptile food. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=6458
Yes, they tend to live in very shallow bodies of water and some are found in brackish areas . They're horrible swimmers, ha, and tend to instead "bottom walk". I have mine in a long but very shallow enclosure. It's enough water for him to swim if he wants but the water level is low enough that he can sit on the bottom and not have to move much to stick his head out to breathe. I'm glad it's shallow because once he got stuck between his basking rock and the side of the tank. He kept trying to walk forward instead of backing up (which would have freed him) . Turtles are nice pets but aren't known for intelligence...

Yeah, that's what I'd guess, I just wish I knew what species they tend to eat as it'd help me figure out what numbers to shoot for, you know? I'd hate to cut out pellets and have him develop a deficiency.

He used to get snails (shells smashed) but I stopped raising them after losing the puffer in a power outage . So maybe he'd like those as treats . I'd prefer to feed fresh/frozen foods for staples but at least those canned foods don't have any additives.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

True, and live snails can carry parasites. Actually, most species of turtles are absolutely brilliant, for reptiles, so if the little muds aren't, it's kind of a shame, lol. http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...-by-imitation/

The chelonians have always been at the top of the smarts list, among reptiles, though it's possible crocodilians are brilliant, as well. Lizards come in second, and snakes definitely last.
We thought you had to be warm-blooded to have brains, but the tortoise may be able to outsmart the hare. (And beat certain rodents in learning mazes, too).
Still, different species have different mental capabilities.

Perhaps the little mud turtle, who spends his day shoving through the muddy weeds chomping up snails and bugs, just doesn't need to be able to navigate or remember the way a box turtle, or even a slider, does. (He's still cute).

Tags
alternative, cheap, low budget, pet supplies