Frustrated with changes? Read this. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Forum News Important information on how the forum works, updates of features added, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Frustrated with changes? Read this.

I need to address some comments I'm seeing on the forums and in the chatbox. Some of them are offensive and accusatory, which is very unfair.

The format we're using with PT's sidebar and new home page is called Joomla. It is a Content Management System. The goal in adding it was to make Paw-Talk more than just a forum and take it to a new level of comprehensiveness. We can add pet news, pet care articles, frequently asked pet questions, slide shows, image galleries, etc. The list is long. Very long.

THE CHANGE IS NOT ABOUT ADVERTISING. Period.

If we wanted to add a sidebar for more ad space, this is VERY easy to do within PT's existing forum software. There was absolutely no need to add another application for advertising purposes. None. All it would have taken is some CSS and style change.

The point here is that this was done for the benefit of the community. Yes, it is different. Change can be difficult to adjust to, but change is not bad. Yes, there are glitches and problems. We integrated two different types of software, there are BOUND to be glitches that no amount of testing can find. We've had a test version on the server for months and still missed things because testing is imperfect and cannot account for all situations. Thankfully we have a tech team devoting hours (and I do mean hours) to fixing these glitches. They are responding to my questions, my suggestions, as well as to yours. They also have families and other aspects of their daily lives to deal with, just like you and I.

Please be patient. Please understand that we are working on things. Please keep in mind that the goal here was to improve the community.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jade; 02-04-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I have no problem with how it looks now and what is going on. My main problem is that everyone said it would be put back the way it was before. Like with the user info on the left hand side of the screen (as you would see it as you were reading a post) and the little linky at the top right hand corner of the screen that said, "new posts since youre last visit".

Another concern of mine was the ads. I don't mean the ones at the top of the window or the side, but the ones where you click to go to the next page or something and a new window pops up that says "click here to skip ad"...those kind of bother me.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
Another concern of mine was the ads. I don't mean the ones at the top of the window or the side, but the ones where you click to go to the next page or something and a new window pops up that says "click here to skip ad"...those kind of bother me.
Have you seen those on this forum? Am I missing something?

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
and the little linky at the top right hand corner of the screen that said, "new posts since youre last visit".
I'll let the tech team address the first portion of this sentence. In regards to this portion, the only difference between that and "New Posts" on the navigation bar was the counting since your last visit. The link points to exactly the same place. The edit directly changed a forum display template, which was hard coding, a.k.a. hacking. That method is now mostly defunct in this software because it makes upgrading much more difficult. We likely will not re-add this particular customization.

Please use "New Posts" instead to browse the forums. It will provide the exact functionality and even gives you threads you simply have not read yet without clearing them all from your last session.

Stephanie

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 AM

Awwe, has everyone forgotten that this is a "happy" place to come and visit?

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

Okay,I LOVE the forum and have no problems with change.I get used to change.My issues are the slow-ness and the fact that I could not post a thing over the last few days.

I know they are being worked on,but I cannot help getting frustrated.

Pinkie...I have never ever had one of the "pop-up" ads come up when I come here.The ads at the top of the page do not bother me.The "pop-ups" would,but like I said I have never encountered those here.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
can't think of one, help

I've never had the pop up ads here either, those things make me crazy. The most frustrating thing for me is the fact that I can't do the "view first unread" when I go to a post. But if I remember right that happened before this last major change. Sometimes I have to scroll through several replies I';ve already seen before I get to the ones I haven't
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I'm not saying it has the pop up ads, I'm justt wondering if that is what it's going to come to.

I know the new posts link will take me to exactly the same place. I just got used to clicking in that one spot and when it was changed the first time it just got frustrating. I didn't realize that the template changed with the first upgrade.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I think the site looks very professional now.
I haven't really noticed any differences other than when I click on a thread sometimes it takes me way into the thread and I don't recall reading all the previous posts -but I really was wondering if that was just me forgetting or if it's the site not directing me to the right place.
I like it.
I don't mind the advertising. I understand that it is needed to fund the site. I look at the ads that interest me and ignore the ones that don't. I may have a different perspective since my job entails me recommending (okay begging) people to advertise for their own good (I do not work for advertising in any way I just believe in it's power). I would hate pop up ads. I cannot stand them anywhere but I have never, ever seen one here. BTW thank you for that!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
I'm not saying it has the pop up ads, I'm justt wondering if that is what it's going to come to.
No, that will never be in the plan for Paw-Talk.

Stephanie

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Other than the smaller type (at least it appears that way on my screen..), I have no problems with any of the changes. The "New Posts" button is exactly where I want it to be.

I hope you do get some ads. In the book "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", they called the concept TANSTAAFL (pronounced Tahn'-Stahf-El).

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."

You may not pay money up front for something, but somehow, someway, ..SOMEBODY has to pay. Servers, software and bandwidth cost real money, ...somebody has to pay for it.

If I have to pay for my registration here by seeing a few ads in my periphery, ...it's a heck of a lot better than having to pay for them out of my wallet!

JMO

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

weren't the ads from google always on the top or am i just missing something? I like the way it looks. I love the picture slideshow on the home page. If I'm just being dense please forgive me...I worked 15.5 hours yesterday and 8 today and it's just been a long, emotionally draining couple of days.

My Babies ~ Shadow ~ Millie ~ Buster ~ Milo

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I haven't been on much since the change, but everything seems ok to me. Yeah its different but we will adjust.. remember all the commotion when the ad bar was put at the top of the page? people complained for a few days, then no one cared anymore. My only complaint about the new layout, is as Bob said. Everything seems smaller. But I'm sure we'll get used to it, and the added new features make up for the little things we've lost. I love the idea of the article section. And the slide Show on the front page. BTW.. How are the photos selected for the slide show? are they submitted somewhere? or taken off the site randomly?

My Furry Family
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Newborn Pup

I like the site. It's very well done. And yes it is supposed to be a happy place for animal lovers.