New Reputation System added - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Forum News Important information on how the forum works, updates of features added, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

New Reputation System added

Today I enabled a feature that comes with the new software. It allows you to rate a user's posts, by indicating if you approve or do not approve, and leave a comment if you wish.

Here are some key points about the system:
  • Each user starts out with 10 reputation points.
  • Every 180 days, you gain 1 reputation altering point. (Negative comments receive half this value)
  • Every 500 posts you gain one reputation altering point as well.
  • Every 500 reputation points earns one reputation altering point.
  • You must have 50 posts before your ratings add to or detract from a user's reputation.
  • You are only allowed 10 ratings of other members per 24 hour period.
  • You must rate 10 others before you can rate the same member again.

You click on this icon in order to rate a post:

This system is basically a visual reward of appreciation if your posts help someone out or are informative to others. It is not a popularity contest. Negative ratings are allowed, but any intentional abuse of the system will be dealt with by the administrative team as they see fit.

You can view others' ratings next to their post count. The dots are indicative of reputation and scrolling your mouse over them will indicate a level of reputation.

We are asking for suggestions on changes to these sayings - we would like them to be pet oriented. I will start another thread in this section to post suggestions!

The default levels are as follows (where User displays the username):

0 points: User is an unknown quantity at this point
10 points: User is on a distinguished road
50 points: User will become famous soon enough
150 points: User has a spectacular aura about
250 points: User is a jewel in the rough
350 points: User is just really nice
450 points: User is a glorious beacon of light
550 points: User is a name known to all
650 points: User is a splendid one to behold
1000 points: User has much to be proud of
1500 points: User has a brilliant future
2000 points: User has a reputation beyond repute

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Stephanie

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Very Cool! I just saw this now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Sounds like a really neat feature to me!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Romping Ratties

Is it possible to make it so we can see the last ten people we have given a reputation to? We do this on another forum and it makes things a lot easier, and perhaps see the last 5 reputations we have recieved. Right now I have 36 reputation points but can only see the last one given, and I would really like to see if other comments were left, so if someone disagrees with me I can know. :p

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

It's a customization that will have to be added. I've bookmarked the instructions, but am holding off on making major customizations until they release the 'stable' software version. I'm trying to minimize the amount of work I have to do twice!

Stephanie

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I have been giving people points all day when i see fit! I like this a lot! Thanks jade, you do so much to make this forum rock!

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Romping Ratties

I understand. Any way you can add the virtual pets too?!

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm looking at that, my host actually found it for me. I personally don't care for how big it makes the top portion of posts for those using the new layout. Once we upgrade, I'm going to see if I can edit the size and display and go from there.

Stephanie

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romping Ratties
Right now I have 36 reputation points but can only see the last one given, and I would really like to see if other comments were left, so if someone disagrees with me I can know. :p
First, I upped it to show the last 100 reputation ratings. Second, you have 36 points because the user who rated you had a reputation power of 26 points, meaning a positive review added 26 points (conversely, a negative review from the same person would detract 13 points, which is half their power).

Remember, reputation altering power is determined by post counts (every 500 earns one), reputation points (every 500 earns one), and length of time you've been a member (every 180 days earns one).

Stephanie

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Romping Ratties

Hrmm, I'm a little confused but that's OK. I think I understand the first part, but am confused with the last bit...

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Every member has a reputation altering power. Yours currently is one because you have been here less than a month and only have 79 posts.

Admins by default are set at 25. Capnsweets, for example, has over 10,600 posts. Meaning every 500 earned her 1 point. She gained 21 reputation altering points just by having those posts. She's also been here since 12/01, which earned her points for every 180 days, making her reputation power 26. Having a reputation power of 26 means that for every positive rating she gives, it adds 26 points to that user. It also means that for every negative rating, it deducts 13 points from that user's reputation point total. Make sense?

Stephanie

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Romping Ratties

Yes! Thanks!

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Very cool system Jade!

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:24 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Ohhh, I'm having fun with this Jade!

~ Jodi ~