RAK Signups for February - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Forum News Important information on how the forum works, updates of features added, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation RAK Rules

We have a ton of new members, so we thought it was time to bring RAK back so we can get to know everyone! Please read through the explanation and rules, then submit your questionnaire (2nd post) to me via PM before January 31st.

What the heck is RAK?
RAK stands for Random Acts of Kindness. Put simply, it's a secret pal exchange, but you're really only obligated to make your RAK Buddy smile - no physical gifts are necessary (but are not prohibited).

How does it work?
I will complile a list of those who want to participate and then assign each person a buddy. PM me with your questionnaires filled out (available at the end of this post) by the 31st.

What will happen?
You will recieve a member's name, email, and mailing address (if they choose to provide it) along with a personal questionnaire to help get to know them!

RULES
  • You need to set up a *fake* email address, through yahoo or hotmail or somewhere... so that when you email things to your buddy, they won't know who you are. Make sure you don't enter your real name when registering!

• During the month, you need to EMAIL them something, 2-3 times per week if at all possible. Always make sure you use your fake email address. You can send them e-cards, emails, personal letters, jokes, whatever you'd like, as long as you do send them things.

• If your buddy has chosen to provide it, you will be sent their home address, so that if you would LIKE to send them a package, gift, or card via real mail, you CAN. I want to stress that this is encouraged (don't we all LOVE to get mail, even if it's just a card?), but NOT a requirement. This is a "do as you can" game, and is meant to be an alternative to those exchanges that not everyone can afford to participate in, so if you can't afford to send a package, that is not at all a problem. All that is required is the email correspondance.

• There are NO monetary minimums on the gifts, IF you choose to send something. Just do what you can afford to do. Homemade gifts are also encouraged if you are crafty, but again, it is NOT required to send gifts.

• Don't reveal who you are during the course of the month, and if you mail anything to them via postal mail, make sure to put "RAK BUDDY" or something similar in the return addy instead of your name. It helps to use a relative's return address to conceal your location as well.

• It is YOUR job to make your buddy feel special during the month, PLEASE don't forget about them. We all have things in our lives that may bring us down. The point of RAK is to lift your buddy up. Tell them they matter. Tell them they are special, because all of us are.

• Toward the end of the month, a post will be started and at that time, you may reveal yourself. If you prefer, you can reveal yourself by mail, PM or email as well.

• If you are a week into the month and have NOT gotten any correspondance from your RAK buddy, please send me a PM and let me know, and I will look into it for you.

• If you're getting at least 2-3 things per week, please know your buddy is doing his/her job! We all have things in our lives that come up, things that require our time. The R stands for Random - that's what it's supposed to be! Daily contact isn't required and RAK isn't a popularity contest - your buddy's goal is to make you smile!

• Do not sign up if you cannot devote yourself to sending at least 2-3 things per week and fulfilling your obligation to making your buddy smile. You wouldn't want to be forgotten and neither does your buddy!

• Due to past experiences with new members forgetting their buddy, we're going to ask that you have at least 50 posts before joining RAK.

• PLEASE have fun with this. We wanted to create an "exchange" or "game" that EVERYONE could participate in, even those who aren't financially able to spend much money. So, let's remember that the purpose of this game is just to brighten someone's day!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question Questions for Participants

Reminder: DO NOT ANSWER THESE HERE! PM them to me by the 31st!

Name:

Mailing Address:

Regular Email:

Do you collect anything?

What are your interests/hobbies/favorite activities?

Anything that you absolutely do NOT like - would NOT want to recieve as a gift? (If you would not be interested in religious type gifts please make sure and put that here, we dont want anyone to be offended by something they might recieve)

Any special gift suggestions, mailing tips, or anything else you'd like to add for your buddy to get to know you better?

What is your favorite brand of candy bar?

What kind of books do you like to read?

Who is your favorite cartoon character?

Do you like "girly" things (bubble bath, bath oils, lotions, candles, etc)? Is there a special scent you like or dislike?

Share one thing that you enjoy, a simple pleasure, that everyone might not know about.

Is there any color that you just don't care for?

What kind of pets do you have?

What sort of treats do they eat/play with?

Stephanie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 AM
PT's Official Law Breaker

All I can say is " and " and I'm doing this..... !!!

Oh and JADE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another thing to add:

So as to avoid hurt feelings, if your RAK buddy sends you something via snail mail, please thank them through email, rather than on the forum. This way everything stays fair to everyone, even if they're unable to send something by mail.

Stephanie

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

One more day to get yours in.

Stephanie

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Can't Wait!! :hpydance:

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Rhonda

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Last day!!

Stephanie

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Stephanie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:50 PM

Don't close it yet. I know I'm late but I wasn't sure I was going to do it yet and I just can't let it go by with out me so give me some time to go throught the rest of the posts, watch Medium and then I will sign up Okay?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Formerly Known as oreos_my_hedgie

oh poo i'm too late.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

i'm sad.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Hey guys, just because you don't get a secret buddy doesn't mean you have to miss out on the fun! You can still participate! RAK (as a verb/action, not just a noun) various members as the month goes by! This way, you have no time constraints, and if your schedule gets busy and you forget a week, no big deal. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to RAK members .

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

You took the words outta my mouth ... err .. fingers, Bex.

Stephanie

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

Well, I figured you might have been busy changing usernames or something, so I thought I'd help out